2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

front axle not releasing out of 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 12:42 AM
MrGman
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default front axle not releasing out of 4x4

so, I've got a 96 Ram that is sticking in 4x4 mode even though I've moved the transfer case shifter out of 4x4. The light on the dash goes out, but the front axle isn't letting go. It's been suggested to me that the clutch packs in the front axle are sticking... does that sound plausible? It's the Dana 60 front axle if that makes a difference. Is that something that a shop could fix in 1 day? I understand they'd have to open up the front axle housing to deal with it. Reason I know it's not releasing is because you can feel the binding in the front end when making a sharp turn on pavement. The usual feeling you get when turning with it engaged in 4x4 on pavement...

Old 04-01-2015, 07:44 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

No clutches in the front axle. The passenger side axle is two-piece, with a collar that gets slid over to lock them together. Its all vacuum powered, so, even a minor vacuum leak can give you delayed/no action there. First thing to check is, ARE you getting vacuum to the cad? (central axle disconnect.) You will find that on the passenger side axle tube, two lines going to it. In 2wd, outboard line should have vacuum, in 4x4, inboard line should have vacuum. It might be an easy fix.

Have a look here for how it works.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:12 PM
MrGman
Rookie

ok, read through all that and it makes sense... should the vacuum be enough that if I unhook the line I will be able to feel the pressure on the end of the line. Sorry for the questions, but I'm a carpenter, not a mechanic, lol. I will take it to a friend of mine who is a very good backyard mechanic to help me with everything. From reading the info in that link you posted, it's either the vacuum at the axle, or the plunger sticking in the switch which is mounted to the transfer case. Sounds like that is a relatively easy thing to unscrew and clean. Am I correct in assuming that?
Thx.

Old 04-02-2015, 01:43 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MrGman
ok, read through all that and it makes sense... should the vacuum be enough that if I unhook the line I will be able to feel the pressure on the end of the line.
Yes. You should get full manifold vacuum there. If it's less at the CAD than at the intake manifold a few seconds after clunking the transfer case shifter, you've got a leak somewhere.

Originally Posted by MrGman
Sorry for the questions, but I'm a carpenter, not a mechanic, lol.
In that case, ignore what I just said. I'm a computer programmer.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:45 PM
MrGman
Rookie

ok... one more question before I get set to tackle this this weekend (it's a 3 day weekend up here in Canada) Does the fact that the 4x4 indicator light goes out indicate if it's the plunger in the switch at the transfer case or the control motor on the axle?

Old 04-03-2015, 10:05 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Actuator doesn't need to move far to turn the light off, does have to move pretty good to completely disengage though. Check vacuum at the actuator. If you have strong vacuum, you have an internal problem. (on the axle) But, keep in mind, a vacuum leak will give you the same problems.

Quick Reply: front axle not releasing out of 4x4