2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Road trip hauling a car, now trans issues.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 06:49 PM
34blazer
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, its an aftermarket cooler but I will check to see if everything is flowing correctly.

Can anyone recommend parts to rebuild this transmission, nothing too aggressive since I have a car to race and don't need to hop up this truck.

Im finding lots of kits on fleabay, just need some preferred parts from others who have rebuilt these transmissions, and any other wear items not included with a normal kit.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Check out these guys. They have some pretty nice kits. (pricey, but, ya get what ya pay for, and it would give you a bulletproof trans in the end.)

Or, on page six of MonteC's trans thread, there is a list of suggested parts for a member that regularly towed a 7K pound trailer. Go by that list, and you won't have any problems either.

Or, just buy a mega-viper, (around 2500.....) and be done with it, never have to worry about the trans again.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:06 PM
34blazer
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Check out these guys. They have some pretty nice kits. (pricey, but, ya get what ya pay for, and it would give you a bulletproof trans in the end.)

Or, on page six of MonteC's trans thread, there is a list of suggested parts for a member that regularly towed a 7K pound trailer. Go by that list, and you won't have any problems either.

Or, just buy a mega-viper, (around 2500.....) and be done with it, never have to worry about the trans again.

Holy crap. I just spent about an hour looking up and adding the suggested parts from MonteC to the cart on WIT website, over a grand just in parts. I strongly doubt the trans will need a 6 and 5 pinion front/rear planet, the 360 is still in stock form lol. Everything else seems to add up to about the amount of the PATC kit, which I like except for the fact that I prefer the sonnax sure cure kit instead of the Fairbanks kit. Oregon trans has some decent kits too, so my head is spinning right now. There aint no way Im forking over 2500 for a mega viper, that's overkill, I'd rather buy a boneyard hemi/trans/PCM setup drop it in the truck. The GN will be receiving a fully built trans since the intent is to get a full weight car into the mid 10's, so Im saving the big bucks for a kit from Dave Husek.

On a side note, what is the stock converter stall native to the SS/T? When I rebuilt the engine, I noticed the converter was painted green and not a natural finish. Stalls around 2200 currently, iirc.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:33 PM
34blazer
Rookie

This is the most complete kit I have found so far....

http://www.monstertransmission.com/D...l#.VS8seTzwvcs

Old 04-16-2015, 09:13 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

At the bargain basement price of 900 dollars. Looks pretty good....

No clue on the stall speed.

Old 04-16-2015, 02:28 PM
superfluous
Rookie

Good luck with the rebuild kit. I came close to rebuilding mine years ago but I instead got rid of the truck. I was going to get the non-performance master rebuild kit which is under 200, because I would hate to pay for an expensive kit and then screw it up as I've never rebuilt an auto before (though I have rebuild a couple of manual transmissions and transfer cases.)

I recommend getting a FSM before you start, or at least the transmission chapter. Just ignore the part about needing special tools from the dealer, from reading posts I found that all special tools can be bought at HF and/or improvised.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:20 PM
34blazer
Rookie

Originally Posted by superfluous
Good luck with the rebuild kit. I came close to rebuilding mine years ago but I instead got rid of the truck. I was going to get the non-performance master rebuild kit which is under 200, because I would hate to pay for an expensive kit and then screw it up as I've never rebuilt an auto before (though I have rebuild a couple of manual transmissions and transfer cases.)

I recommend getting a FSM before you start, or at least the transmission chapter. Just ignore the part about needing special tools from the dealer, from reading posts I found that all special tools can be bought at HF and/or improvised.

Thanks. Already have the FSM from here as well as a 46RE FSM, but Im going to purchase the ATSG manual since my printer sucks.

Found another kit that is mostly complete

http://www.makcotransmissionparts.co...6GA-BOX-1.html

And found the GM EPC conversion kit on fleabay for about $60 less than WIT and Makco has them listed for.

Plugged some of the parts that were not included in the Makco kit into WIT's part finder, and ordering through WIT will be cheaper, even with the Sonnax sure cure kit, so Im going with WIT.

Last edited by 34blazer; 04-16-2015 at 03:23 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

instead of doing the GM conversion for the governor pressure stuff, just get the BW heavy duty pressure solenoid/sensor kit off ebay. They run about 100 bucks.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:07 PM
34blazer
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
instead of doing the GM conversion for the governor pressure stuff, just get the BW heavy duty pressure solenoid/sensor kit off ebay. They run about 100 bucks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/46RE-47RE-48RE-Transmission-Governor-Pressure-Solenoid-Upgrade-Borg-Warner-HD-/330602331148?hash=item4cf96f3c0c&vxp=mtr

Like this one?

Old 04-17-2015, 08:54 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

That would be the feller. Electrical advantage also sells it with the pressure sensor as well.

Quick Reply: Road trip hauling a car, now trans issues.