2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Road trip hauling a car, now trans issues.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 12:19 AM
34blazer
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While rebuilding this trans I would like to firm up the shifts a bit, it seems as if the sonnax sure cure kit alleviates the bigger issues, but not add shift firmness to the to-do list. Ive been searching and found a thread where MonteC said he used the SSC kit with a superior shift kit for well rounded shift correction. There are no details explaining what to do, and I don't want to purchase a shift kit before I know that there wont be any conflicts between the kits. For instance, the Transgo kit instructions say to drill a hole in a partition for direct line to lube, where as the sonnax kit includes a pressure reg valve and instructs NOT to drill the hole. The transgo kit also has a different manual valve than the sonnex kit, another conflict.

Only useable information Ive gathered is I can drill the separator plate to add shift firmness, but doing that may necessitate the use of firmer accumulator springs, an educated guess.

I would like some input for this, from someone who has coupled the sonnax kit with another shift kit. Or at least find the instructions for the superior shift kit to reference, I cannot find any, and youtube seems to only contain transgo installations.

Thanks

Old 04-19-2015, 01:07 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 34blazer
For instance, the Transgo kit instructions say to drill a hole in a partition for direct line to lube, where as the sonnax kit includes a pressure reg valve and instructs NOT to drill the hole.
That line-to-lube shunt is an idiot thing to do. Just say no.

Old 04-19-2015, 02:34 AM
34blazer
Rookie

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
That line-to-lube shunt is an idiot thing to do. Just say no.

Wasn't going to, just pointing out conflicts between the kits.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:37 AM
34blazer
Rookie
Old 04-26-2015, 12:50 AM
34blazer
Rookie

Dropped the trans today, the fluid was in near perfect shape, and there was no debris in the pan or on the magnet. Removed the OD housing and didn't notice anything terribly wrong, no excessive endplay on the input shaft.

/thread.....

Old 04-27-2015, 12:01 AM
34blazer
Rookie

Took apart the trans today, ran out of time to finish taking apart the VB. So far everything is in really good shape.

Quick Reply: Road trip hauling a car, now trans issues.