2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

driving rough

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 08:52 PM
supersportssteve
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default driving rough

I have a 97 ram sport with the 318 it shakes a little at a stop i think its missing. It sputters a when i give it a little gas but runs fine driveing but it feels like something is holding it back like im pulling a trailer i think it might be my brakes because its alot worse if i slam on the brakes and when i stop hard it feels like they lock up when i come to a complete stop witch makes the problem worse starting off. Whats doing this and What can i do to fix these problems?

Old 04-18-2015, 09:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Check your brakes first. Jack up one end of the truck, stomp on the brake pedal, then try and turn the wheels. Check both ends.

Have you fixed your plenum yet? Probably wanna read thru the plenum sticky at the top of this forum.

Welcome to DF!

Old 04-19-2015, 01:55 PM
supersportssteve
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Check your brakes first. Jack up one end of the truck, stomp on the brake pedal, then try and turn the wheels. Check both ends.

Have you fixed your plenum yet? Probably wanna read thru the plenum sticky at the top of this forum

Welcome to DF!
I didnt fix it yet but i didnt jack up the truck and found a rear and front tire are hard to spin after slamming on the pedal what should i replace to fix this? I also did alot of reading about the plenum gasket and think that is my problem but when i drive the its sluggish taking off like i said but picks up alot at about 2800 to 3500 rpms then shifts and becomes sluggish again. I couldnt find anything on that what do you think it could be

Old 04-20-2015, 09:06 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

When my plenum was bad, at right about 3K rpm, it was like someone flipped a switch, and the engine had a LOT more power...... I think that is just a side effect of a blown plenum.

If you have brakes sticking, need to find out why. For the front, the soft lines deteriorate, and collapse internally, basically creating a one-way valve.... step on the brakes, and the caliper won't release. You can test that by jacking it up, take off the tire, step on the brakes, verify it is not releasing, then crack open the bleed valve. If it turns easier after that, replace the soft lines. (do both sides.....)

For the rear, need to pull 'em apart, and see what everything looks like.

Quick Reply: driving rough