2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Anyone who installed a shift kit in the 46re

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 12:17 AM
34blazer
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone who installed a shift kit in the 46re

Im looking for instructions, and possibly parts lists from any shift kits that have been used, with the exception of the transgo kits. Will explain why when I figure a few things out.

Thanks!

Old 04-21-2015, 12:53 AM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What is it you are looking to get out of your shift kit upgrade? I installed the sonax sure cure kit along with the borg warner solenoids, and the TCC boost clip and a new pan with drain bolt. The Sonnax kit came with instructions which can be downloaded, tho they are a little hard to understand. I noticed a little firmer bump into lockup and I chose to increase kickdown sensitivity which helps to not launch into 3rd from OD.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:48 AM
34blazer
Rookie

Forgot to add, already have the sure cure kit instructions.

>>>"I chose to increase kickdown sensitivity which helps to not launch into 3rd from OD"

Did you use the OE spring and add the shim(s) for this?

Old 04-21-2015, 10:49 PM
beeker
Captain

Yes, I used stock spring and 1 shim, if I were in there again I'd add another shim for earlier kickdown to 3rd on hills.

I also cut out the section on the valve body plate as per instructions to the largest reccomended opening to get a firm apply into lockup. I really like it.
Before the kit I couldn't feel or even notice TC lockup.

Old 04-22-2015, 03:55 AM
34blazer
Rookie

The trans has always had a good positive lockup, kickdown seemed to be sensitive at around 35mph. I may just stick with the OEM spring and maybe one shim. Not being able to tune the JTEC plays a huge part considering these adjustments could be made within the transmission control parameters(I think).

The idea right now is to install the sure cure kit along with the rebuild and also firm up the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts a bit. Ive been looking at the other kits and they seem to offer some of the items included with the sure cure kit, just not all. And they also seem have a slightly different method of modifying the TC lockup routine. As of now Im going to use the sure cure kit, and drill the separator plate to firm up the 1-2, 2-3 shifts. One of the uncertainties is one hole that other kits call for drilling larger(some kits call it "HD shift", aside from the 2nd gear apply, and 3rd gear apply circuits. Not sure if it adds fluid volume and pressure globally(all gears,TC lock) or just for the 1/2, 2/3 shift. I cant find the explanation and cant seem to match up that hole with any circuits in the VB hydraulic diagrams I have, but should be able to figure it out once I get the VB apart.

The other uncertainty, which is also why I need to look at parts lists for other shift kits, is 2nd and 3rd accumulator springs to counteract the increased line pressure. I don't want to break the OEM springs and have to disassemble the VB again. The transgo jr doesn't look like it has the accumulator springs, not does the superior or Fairbanks kits, but wanted to be sure first. I don't want to buy those kits either just to end up only using the drill bits to drill the separator plate.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:39 PM
34blazer
Rookie

bump.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:59 AM
beeker
Captain

I'm interested in what you find out and results. The Sonnax was my first shift kit install and I haven't done the mods you are looking at. Have you tried calling any of the kit suppliers?

Old 04-23-2015, 02:05 AM
34blazer
Rookie

Originally Posted by beeker
I'm interested in what you find out and results. The Sonnax was my first shift kit install and I haven't done the mods you are looking at. Have you tried calling any of the kit suppliers?

I may call to inquire about this. This question has popped up in the past just before Aim4Squirrels installed his sure cure kit. MonteC suggested using the trans go jr kit along with the sure cure kit to cover the entire shifting package. Seems like a good route to take. If I follow the transgo jr directions, the only items Ill need to purchase(AFAIK) is some drill bits, which I need some anyway. Actually, Im also going to replace the TCC plate and retainer with a stronger one, only 17 bucks on fleabay. Superior #K065

Post #5
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...transgo-s.html

Here are the instructions I found for the transgo jr, I don't need to buy the kit unless I want the retainer and a few drills bits, since Ill just be drilling the separator plate.

http://www.dodgedurango.net/forums/d...t-install.html

Old 04-24-2015, 09:49 PM
34blazer
Rookie

All the parts arrived yesterday, going to pull the trans this weekend and start the rebuild. If the shift kit works with the sure cure kit Ill post pictures and the results.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:02 PM
beeker
Captain

That was a pretty good thread by Aim4squirrels, too bad he never updated with results.

Would be nice if you could snap some pictures as you work of the mods you do and what they do.

Did you buy both kits, Sure Cure and Transgo Jr and how much?

Quick Reply: Anyone who installed a shift kit in the 46re