2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help with distributor 5.9 gas 2500

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 12:37 PM
akauto
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im going to assume they are leaking due to having 229k on the engine. Is the intake a rough job to do?

Old 04-26-2015, 09:04 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Not really, just time consuming. All you really need is basic hand tools, and a 3/8ths drive torque wrench. Air tools make the job much more pleasant.

With that kind of mileage, I would replace the timing chain and gears as well. (double roller please.)

Old 04-30-2015, 06:54 PM
akauto
Amateur
Default update on distributor

Ok so I pulled the intake because there was a ton on oil in the bottom looking through the throttle body. Glad i did because the gaskets were beyond shot. After breaking 2 intake bolts and getting them out i am now ready to reinstall.

Heres a question though. I noticed 2 on the injector connectors no longer snap onto the injector. They just pull off and dont lock. I believe its cylinders 1 and 3. Any fixes for this other than putting new pig tails on? Thanks

Old 04-30-2015, 07:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Is the spring clip still on the connector? Are the 'ears' still on the injector side? See what's missing, take it from there. (not sure what connectors you actually have....)

Old 04-30-2015, 09:03 PM
akauto
Amateur

The injectors seem to be ok. The clip looks like its missing from the connector (possibly broken off by someone prior) also the red lock tabs that the other injectors have are long gone from them. I really dont want to cut strip and solder wires if i dont have to

Old 04-30-2015, 10:04 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Not sure you get much of a choice.......

Might be able to take the wires out of the connectors, and just replace the connector itself?

Old 05-01-2015, 01:21 PM
akauto
Amateur

Pulling the wires out may be an option. I will look today and see if it can be done. Maybe zip ties and electrical tape will be my friend on this.

Old 05-02-2015, 10:43 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 298 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by akauto
Pulling the wires out may be an option. I will look today and see if it can be done. Maybe zip ties and electrical tape will be my friend on this.
My thoughts exactly, if you're on a budget or tight on time.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:26 AM
akauto
Amateur

Ok so the truck is back together and fires up. It still runs rough. Not as bad as it was but its still missing somewhere. I dropped the dist back in exactly where it was. It locked into the oil pump. Also the temp gauge isnt working. I connected the temp sensor but the gauge doesnt move. Its got heat though. And lastly the oil pressure gauge is erractic. I test drove it to the gas station and as soon as i pulled it the chime went off and the check gauges light came on and the oil pressure was at zero. I shut it off and restarted it. The pressure went up to around 50psi and just stayed there. The gauge didnt move as i drove home. Maybe a bad oil pressure sending unit? I have an oil pressure testor i will get that on today and see what it says. The rough running issue and temp gauge need to be rectified too. Any thoughts?

Old 05-03-2015, 10:29 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

PCM needs that temp sensor working for the engine to run right. The gauge in the dash gets it's clue from the PCM on where to put the needle...... If the PCM doesn't think the engine is warming up, yeah, it's gonna run bad.

Do you have the ability to see live data from the PCM? If you can, see what the PCM thinks engine temp is doing.

Just replace the OPS, that is typical behavior for a failed sensor.

Quick Reply: Help with distributor 5.9 gas 2500