2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help with distributor 5.9 gas 2500

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 12:53 PM
akauto
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just regapped all the plugs. Made sure they were all at .40 seems to run smoother but still too shaky in my opinion. #8 plug looked good do im assuming that means the converter is in decent shape?

Old 05-25-2015, 01:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

And the manifold should be sucking pretty hard.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:38 PM
akauto
Amateur

The manifold has good suction for sure. Im still baffled. New plugs wires cap rotor distributor manifold gaskets iac tps cleaned intake and throttle body re gapped plugs still has rough idle. When i put it in gear and remove my foot from the brake the truck wont even attempt to move at idle. It smells as if its running rich. I know the exhaust is shot but id like to get this thing running right before putting a y-pipe converter muffler and tail on it. Oh and the suction noise under hood too. The air box is cracked at the mounting base but i dont know if that would cause that type of air rush. Im stumped as stumped can be on this

Old 05-25-2015, 09:10 PM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Double check fuel pressure with non leaking guage. Keep a fire extinguisher handy. You are looking for 50 psi as HeyYou said.

Remove precat O2 sensor and take for a drive, if it runs better your cat is plugged. Easy check.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:27 PM
akauto
Amateur

Im going to get a new gauge tomorrow and probably check fuel pressure after work. When i drive it doesnt miss or pop or back fire it just feels like a slug Could a bad cat cause that as well?

Old 05-25-2015, 10:46 PM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by akauto
When i drive it doesnt miss or pop or back fire it just feels like a slug Could a bad cat cause that as well?
Yes, sluggish performance, lack of power are exactly what a plugged cat would do. Just another thing to check to eliminate the cat as the problem.

Quick Reply: Help with distributor 5.9 gas 2500