2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rough Idle,no temp gauge and oil pressure gauge issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 07:02 PM
akauto
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Rough Idle,no temp gauge and oil pressure gauge issue

Hey guys hopefully some can shed some light on my situation

Have a 2000 Ram 2500 5.9 gas I just got this thing 2 weeks ago with what the seller said was a bad trans. Turns out it was the governor pressure solenoid. It had codes for 3 misfires so i figured id throw a tune up on it because it sat for 2 years. Long story short I had to replace the distributor because the last person broke the ears off for the cap screws. So i pulled the intake to do the gasket as well because it was shot. I put the dist back in the way it came out and put the new gaskets and intake back in. The truck fires up but runs rough and when test driving it i noticed the temp gauge wasnt working and the check gauges light came on and the oil pressure was at zero. I shut it off for a minute started it again and the oil pressure went up to about 50 and just stayed there. Doesnt move when i rev it at all. I hooked my scanner up and the readings i got are
ECT 55 DEGREES
MAP 12.1
TPS 11

i havent tested the oil pressure with a gauge yet. I read somewhere that MAP shouldnt be higher than 11??

I could use some help with this for sure. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Old 05-05-2015, 07:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Those readings in degrees C, or F? What was ambient temp at the time? Was the engine rattling like it had low oil pressure? (the OPS in these suck....)

Check the little rubber 90* nipple that goes from the base of the throttle body, to the MAP sensor. May have dried out, or came off.

Old 05-05-2015, 07:40 PM
akauto
Amateur

It was about 55 degrees here at the time. I believe the readings were in F. No rattling at all. Just the ding of check gauges light and the gauge dumped out. I will check the map and connection tomorrow. If the map is bad can that cause the running condition issue?

Old 05-05-2015, 07:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

PCM really likes to have MAP data be accurate for the motor to run right.

Old 05-05-2015, 07:44 PM
akauto
Amateur

Oh im sure it does but what about that temp gauge and oil gauge?

Old 05-05-2015, 08:38 PM
akauto
Amateur

Hey just thought of something else...the dizzy, i put a new one in. Ive seen where you have to take it to the dealer to have the system reset or the timing will never be right???

Old 05-05-2015, 09:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Fuel sync. Needs to be pretty close for the injectors to be properly timed. Distributor actually has very little to do with ignition timing. (ironic, eh?)

Temp gauge gets its cue from the PCM, via the central timer module. (basically just a hub, on a little network.) Oil pressure gauge is highly likely to be the sending unit.

You can try a cluster test, just hold in the trip-reset button, and turn the ignition on. (don't start the engine.) Should mechanically test all the gauges, just watch for 'em to sweep.

Quick Reply: Rough Idle,no temp gauge and oil pressure gauge issue