2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

sucessful 46rh conversion- just need tweaking

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 09:22 AM
BigPip
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sucessful 46rh conversion- just need tweaking

After months of gathering parts and weeks of doing the swap I finally got her all done and took her for a ride yesterday. I had the 727 3 speed in her and surprising the conversion wasn't that but I have a few bugs to work out.

T.V. cable - I have read many post and instructions on how to adjust it and I get it but my question is do I keep the lever on the trans all the way back and adjust the cable to when it starts to move or do I start the sweep after I take the slop out of it? The lever on the trans has a little movement before you feel it catch. I have adjusted both ways and can't system which is better because you gain on one end but lose on another. I know it needs to be adjusted properly so it does not damage my new trans.

3rd gear - for some reason, my trans want to shift into 3rd gear at like 50mph but before it does it kicks into like neutral and I have to let off the gas and it will finally shift in gear. It does this in any position the tv cable is adjusted. I read to adjust the band which is what I am going to start with this morning but since the trans was rebuilt I kind of thought that would have been done already.

Well, thats where I am out- that and fine tuning my vacuum switch for the od and tc lockup.

Improvements? Before I would only cruise the highways at 65mph with an rpm of 2500-2600. Yesterday I was cruising at 75 and only turning 1800-1900 rpm. Seems low but with 3.20 gears it makes sense.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:43 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

No slack in the TV cable when adjusted properly. As for the little bit of movement on the linkage at the trans..... probably not a lot you can do about that, so, just adjust the cable so it shifts they way you like.

Try adjusting the bands, wouldn't be the first time someone missed a trick on a rebuild. Any warranty on the trans? Take it to the shop that did the work, and have them check it out.

Old 05-25-2015, 12:40 PM
BigPip
Amateur

I think I found something- I pull a tb that I had from a 98 truck and obviously it would have had a 46re but the swing for the tv cable is much shorter than my tb for a 727. I think I am going to finish cleaning it up and switch them out. It will be next week before I can work on it again so she will sit until then.

I did try and adjust the band but same thing- no change.

Old 05-25-2015, 01:05 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Did you do this conversion with parts from patc? What did you put it in?

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/SwapInformation.htm

Old 05-25-2015, 03:03 PM
BigPip
Amateur

Originally Posted by Moparite
Did you do this conversion with parts from patc? What did you put it in?

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/SwapInformation.htm
Yes, I used the pact parts- the biggest headache was probably trying to wire up the vacuum switch with the diagram they have on their site IT IS WRONG! but thankfully I searched and found a few post where people have corrected it so I went off that. It was nearly a bolt in swap. I was able to use my original shifter linkage, dipstick tube, tranny cross member, fly wheel, tv cable, transmission fluid lines... for the cross member all I had to do is pick up the mount that bolts to the tranny and it fit perfect. The only thing I had to do was change a yoke on my driveshaft. I bought a ds from a 95 model that had the 46re for the length but the yoke was different. So ultimately I bought 3 u-joints.other than that just some electrical work for the OD and electric fan I put in and I was set. All except for the issues in the first post but I think when I swap the tb over I should be all set.

It may be worth mentioning that this was all done on a 94 B250.

Last edited by BigPip; 05-25-2015 at 05:27 PM. Reason: model
Old 05-31-2015, 08:05 PM
BigPip
Amateur

Well, after all the adjustments and tb swap- still having an issue with 3rd gear. It usually dont want to shift into third until about 2700 RPM and it shifts into like a neutral before hand. On occasion it will shift into 3rd just fine at like 30/35 mph which is awesome but not very often. I have only driven a few miles between last sunday and this sunday so there isn't much time or miles on it but I am pretty sure I have the tv cable adjusted right where it is now. Still baffled by 3rd gear. Could shifter linkage have a part to play?

Old 06-02-2015, 09:54 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Only if it was kinda sloppy......

Was the trans used? Rebuilt?

Old 06-03-2015, 07:19 AM
BigPip
Amateur

Yes, fresh rebuild, I only have about 30 miles on it.

I researched some more and found I adjuster the 2nd gear band and not 3rd/ Reverse band. I guess I have to drop the pan for that one. So I guess I will drop the pan this weekend and check that one. Unless you think it would be worth checking something else out. When I shift into reverse it does shift pretty hard not sure if related.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:18 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Unfortunately, that's about all I can think of. Might check the governor too..... but, if the 1-2 shift comes in nice, that would imply the governor is doing its job.

Old 06-07-2015, 01:16 PM
BigPip
Amateur

3rd gear band WAY out of adjustment! Nothing like a good reputable transmission rebuild shop! Anyways, we are in mind check better shape and shifting much better.

Quick Reply: sucessful 46rh conversion- just need tweaking