2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Shifting issues..

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 02:04 PM
BrandonZane
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Shifting issues..

Hello again, Sorry about all the posts but i recently bought my truck and would like to have her running at 100%, So I just noticed while driving to the store that my truck was acting a little strange. While accelerating it seemed to be shifting fairly hard, when downshifting it noticeably de-accelerated. Enough to slightly push my body weight forward. Have had the truck for about a month now and it has never done this before. Any suggestions on what may cause this?

I also noticed the other day that she was burning thru a fairly good amount of oil. I did an oil change right after i bought the truck, and about 3-4 weeks later my girlfriend used it to drive to her mothers, she called me when she was almost there and told me that it was running quite hot. I told her to turn the heater on and take it slow the rest of the way. Upon arriving at her mothers her brother called me and informed me that it had no oil in it. Which i found strange being as i had just done an oil change not long ago, And there was no oil spots where i park my vehicle. Needless to say more oil was put in, And i haven't noticed any significant decrease in oil since then. I am not a mechanical genius but i am not dumb either, So i know that there is something that is causing these problems i just do not have the knowledgeable means to figure it out on my own, And i will be the last to start pulling apart stuff that im not sure i could put back together properly. Any insight on these issues would be very helpful. I am more concerned with the shifting problems as i have not had any more issues with the oil.

Old 06-05-2015, 03:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Probably wouldn't hurt to start with a fluid/filter change on the trans. If it's really dirty in there, clean the governor pressure sensor/solenoid as well.

Have you read the plenum sticky yet? I suggest you do.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:12 PM
BrandonZane
Amateur

The plenum forum was helpful, But i dont possess the tools or knowledge for all that lol

Old 06-06-2015, 12:01 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonZane
The plenum forum was helpful, But i dont possess the tools or knowledge for all that lol
I hate to say it, but if you want one of these trucks running at 100% and don't have the tools or know-how, you better have the money to pay someone.

It will be roughly 600 for a shop to do your plenum.

Also, since the truck had run hot, there are probably A LOT of problems with the truck as you were probably not the first person it ran hot for.

Also, all you need for the plenum is:
1. 2 days (one day for the job and overnight cure time for sealant)
2. A ratchet set, torque wrench, zip ties (to hold things out of the way) and some RTV sealant.
3. The DIY with the pics.

If you can loosen and tighten bolts, you can do that job. Wouldn't hurt to go to autozone and get a Haynes manual.

Otherwise, expect to pay 1500 to get her to where you want.

Old 06-06-2015, 12:41 AM
BrandonZane
Amateur

Well that being said. Those are tools I own, guess I was just over thinking it. The Haynes I was already planning on, just gotta wait for my paycheck to get here lol

Old 06-06-2015, 02:11 AM
zildjian3707
Veteran

these trucks are moneys pits, but there great when they work. if im not fixing something on mine im upgrading something.

Old 06-06-2015, 10:37 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion

Originally Posted by zildjian3707
these trucks are moneys pits, but there great when they work. if im not fixing something on mine im upgrading something.
This is the way of the Dodge Forum member.

I am actually happy that my fixes/upgrades have gotten to trim and body panels. Well...I am not as happy as those with a viper tranny, but when my current trans explodes, I am going to get a viper.

This might seem crazy but the only bad thing about my truck right now is that I am having no trans issues. I really want an excuse to get a viper.

Old 06-06-2015, 11:11 AM
BrandonZane
Amateur

I have a feeling this may be an issue. Cannot find where it goes. Any suggestions?

Old 06-06-2015, 11:25 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion

keep looking is all I can say. Maybe get a Haynes manual so you can account for all the sensors.

I am trying to think what type of connector that is. Looks like it is a 2 wire connector. So look for 2 wire bundles and look for its mate. But first count the wires. There could be a third wire (holes in the connector) but there is so much dirt in there.

Might want to pressure wash the undercarriage.

Old 06-06-2015, 11:28 AM
BrandonZane
Amateur

I've gotten a fair amount of the dirt from under it, used a screw driver and a shop vac lol I may just do that though

Quick Reply: Shifting issues..