2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

help abs, brake lights on no speedometer no odometer

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 06:59 PM
4wfarms
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help abs, brake lights on no speedometer no odometer

I have a 99 ram 1500. The speedometer quite working and the check engine light, brake light, and the abd light are on.the trick also holds out to 3000 rpms before shifting. I've had this problem before and changed my abs speed sensor on the rear diff. Thought that was the problem again changed it and the vss (vehicle speed sensor) on the side of the transsmision and neither have fixed the problem. I took the main plug of the abs module abd it was clean aand dry but I cleaned it anyways and still nothing can anyone give me any info? Thanks in advance

Old 06-08-2015, 07:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Welcome to DF!

I suspect more than one problem, but, start with the ABS sensor on the rear axle. That should take of of at least some of it.

Old 06-08-2015, 07:09 PM
4wfarms

I have already changed it and the vss yesterday still nothing.

Old 06-08-2015, 07:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

That's not good.... Verify you are getting power TO the sensors. Should be in the neighborhood of 5 to 8 volts.

You can download a service manual from this thread. Wiring diagrams are in there.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:10 PM
4wfarms

I'll see what happens thanks

Old 06-10-2015, 10:40 AM
dalamb13
Question 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 - Same Issue

I also have the same issue! My speedometer doesn't work and both the ABS and BRAKE lights stay on. Also experiencing "shifting problems" from the transmission. I've replaced both the rear end sensor and the speed sensor in the transmission. Also tested the plug for any moisture. (Looked good to me, but cleaned them anyhow.) Any other ideas or has your problem been resolved?? Thank you! I just got this truck... really hope to get this fixed soon. I've read online that the ABS module (the "brain" part) can cause this? It's about $100 at a part store. I would GREATLY appreciate any advice!

Old 06-10-2015, 12:21 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Did you reset the pcm after the part swap? You need to erase the old code.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by dalamb13
I also have the same issue! My speedometer doesn't work and both the ABS and BRAKE lights stay on. Also experiencing "shifting problems" from the transmission. I've replaced both the rear end sensor and the speed sensor in the transmission. Also tested the plug for any moisture. (Looked good to me, but cleaned them anyhow.) Any other ideas or has your problem been resolved?? Thank you! I just got this truck... really hope to get this fixed soon. I've read online that the ABS module (the "brain" part) can cause this? It's about $100 at a part store. I would GREATLY appreciate any advice!
Do a cluster test first, to verify everything there is working. (Just hold in the Trip Reset button, and turn the ignition on, wait for the test to start, and let go. will flash all the lights, and sweep all the gauges.)

If that's ok, verify you have the proper voltage at the various sensors.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:49 PM
dalamb13

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Do a cluster test first, to verify everything there is working. (Just hold in the Trip Reset button, and turn the ignition on, wait for the test to start, and let go. will flash all the lights, and sweep all the gauges.)

If that's ok, verify you have the proper voltage at the various sensors.

Cluster test was okay. All the lights and gauges worked (including the speedometer.) I will check the voltages at the sensors next. I read they should range from 8-12 volts?

Old 06-10-2015, 12:55 PM
dalamb13

Originally Posted by Moparite
Did you reset the pcm after the part swap? You need to erase the old code.
I left the battery unhooked for a day. That would reset it right? It gave a P0500 code that I had cleared after replacing both sensors. It hasn't come back on.

Quick Reply: help abs, brake lights on no speedometer no odometer