2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

death wobble

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 07:56 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

they may not cause it but the entire purpose of one is to reduce oscillation transmission into the steering. Checking to see if its working is a good idea when you have this condition.

Last edited by primem; 06-30-2015 at 08:08 AM.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:45 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Originally Posted by primem
they may not cause it but the entire purpose of one is to reduce oscillation transmission into the steering. Checking to see if its working is a good idea when you have this condition.
The steering stabilizer on my truck hasn't done anything at all since I bought the truck. I just never bothered to remove it. I don't have a problem with death wobble, at all. All my steering components are tight. (except for the steering box, of course.) A fair few members here don't have a steering stabilizer at all, and they don't have issues with death wobble either. Generally, the biggest culprit is unbalanced tires, and loose track bar.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:26 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I would agree with that statement. The stabilizer does serve a purpose however...its not bolted on for no reason. A working stabilizer can even mask slight tire balance issues and rotor lateral runnout vibration transfer into the steering...but yes, it is not the source of the problem.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:44 PM
DODGE 85
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just curious has anybody had this happen to them there is a reason why they call it a death wobble it feels like the front tires are coming rite off the truck at 65 mph. I have owned this for 12 years I keep up on maintenance never a problem till now.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:34 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 298 Likes on 282 Posts

I had a bad case of death wobble with my truck when I first purchased it used with about 124,000 miles on it. I cured my death wobble issue by replacing my front wheel bearings, both U-joints behind the front wheels, track bar (upgraded to new style track bar by adding a custom bracket), steering gear box, upper and lower control arm bushings, upper and lower ball joints and several tie rod ends.

Old 07-05-2015, 12:40 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
Stabilizers do not effect death wobble.
I know you say this, but after I replaced the ball joints, tie rod ends, track bar, shocks and tires...I changed my stabilizer to a stock one (Had a rancho on there) and my death wobble went away. Do you know the cost difference between all the work I had done and what the steering stabilizer costs!

I know you run without one, but you also have different axles.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:03 PM
DODGE 85

The death wobble is gone I replaced my frontend piece by piece until it was gone after replacing the steering gear box that did it but still did not notice much difference driving the truck. Before I replaced it the play in the steering was normal no up or down play in the pittman arm but I replaced it anyway and that stopped the wobble Just so everybody knows the frontend was not in bad shape I keep up on maintenance everything is done by professional technicians. And good luck anybody this happens to.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:17 PM
DODGE 85

Sweet looking engine CPTAFW163

Quick Reply: death wobble