2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Jumping/Popping (Only in 4wd) Hi&Low?

Old 07-20-2015, 02:26 AM
99RAMX4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks.. Yeah I was thinking might as well order a new carrier. For the cost its not to bad. Yeah I checked the ujoints on the drive line there's no slop or movement. They seem nice and tight..

Old 09-13-2015, 01:59 PM
99RAMX4
Default New Info..

Hey everyone, I wanted to give an update on this matter bc I have seen quite a few posts on this issue.. I ended up putting my truck on stands in 4wd to further investigate this issue before going any further. With the wheels off the ground I was able to pinpoint a grind/rattle noise coming from the rear. Pulled the diff cover and "surprise" haha.. There were pieces of the clutches and retainer clips from the TracLoc LS failing. When I bought my truck I had found it sitting in the back of a dealership that was buying my last truck off me. I worked the Ram into the deal and noticed a minor leak at the rear diff cover. I had them "fix" that.. Anyway I am pretty confident that they just refilled it with reg gear oil and is more than likely the cause of the LS failing. Anyway took apart my carrier to rebuild it and it was pretty messed up. So I ordered a new one. Got everything built and decided that I was that far, I'd do the bearings and seals too. Then figured I have always wanted to swap out these terrible 3.55's and just get it all done right the way I want it. So I ordered my new 4.56's and am in the process of installing them. For anyone that is interested in doing this, I found that Nitro sells a very convenient package deal, front/rear for our 2nd gen rams for around $725 @ justdifferentials.com! That is an extremely good price and from what I have found, a very solid product in comparison to others- Yukon, USA and so on.. Trust me when I say I have thoroughly looked. They are quiet gears(I will soon find out for sure haha) and are rockwell tested for strength and durability. I received my kit in a week from ordering. It comes with everything needed- minus the tools of course- to get the job done. Ring/pinion, front/rear as well as a master install kit front/rear. I am very pleased with this kit for not only the price but the convenience of it being a complete kit. I will post updates of everything when its finished. So back to the original topic, to all of you that have said you have that same popping/jumping, open the rear diff and check it out.. If you can catch it earlier than I did its only $100 including shipping for the TracLoc LS rebuild kit by Yukon off Randys ring and pinion and is fairly simple to do yourself in your driveway. I can even give step by step instructions for those that have never rebuilt one. Anyway I hope this info helps..

Old 10-24-2016, 07:25 AM
evilemokid94
Professional

Mine use to pop in 4x4 aswell and it ended up being the chain was stretched. After I had it and the transmission rebuilt I haven't had the issue again

Search this Thread