2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

clear coat problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 10:49 PM
jrox44
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clear coat problem

Well I just got this truck it's a 94 .5.9L with only 55k original miles. Was garage kept and is in amazing shape. No rust nothing. And I've had it for about 5 months and it's starting to get sun spots. Where the clear coat on the paint Is starting to peal in a few tiny spots but I know from all my other trucks how bad they get. The factory color is amazing it's a Pearl color that kinda changes with the sun and I want to preserve it. It's only just starting so Is there any way to stop it from getting worse. Can I get some clear coat in a spray can to stop it. I don't want that spot I spray to stick out thou. Someone mentioned vasoline and someone also mentioned super glue but idk. I don't to make it look worse with something thou. And reclearing the whole truck would cost alot

Old 07-17-2015, 10:00 AM
regwal
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Factory made good on mine (99) even though was out of warranty. Seams there was problems with some applications. Won't hurt to ask. If they don't they may give you a break on cost to repair/replace. My truck is black and they repainted it bumper to bumper. I had receipts where it was always serviced by Dodge too, that helps.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:30 AM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

My 98 has lived outside all it's life... 13 of those years in FL... the clearcoat started giving out at 14yrs, and I just resprayed it last month.
Thanks to Californian rules, paint is not what it use to be... 10yrs is about all you can realistically expect for a paint job.
Nothing will save what you have... it is a clearcoat adhesion problem... all the clearcoat has to be removed, otherwise you'll just be doing it again sooner rather than later.
I did my own respray, and probably spent less than $300 total.
If you can get a freebie dealer paint job, have at it... but I personally feel at the age of your vehicle, it is a little unrealistic to expect.
If you have to get someone else to spray it, do the prep yourself, and save money that way (prep is the bulk of the labor).

Quick Reply: clear coat problem