2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front Calipers seal kit 86mm ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 05:54 AM
Johanswe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Calipers seal kit 86mm ?

Hello!

I got a Dodge ram 2500 -99 here in Sweden and im trying to restore my front brake calipers but i can't find any repair seal kit anywhere. Only for 75 and 80 mm bore and i got 86 mm... And can i just remove the Height Sensing Brake valve? Because i cant find that one anywhere either.

Is it impossible to come by or where can i order them?

Regards Johan

Old 07-17-2015, 10:37 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Just replace the calipers. Much easier, and around here, they aren't that expensive. (not sure about Sweden though......) As for the height sensing valve, yeah, just bypass it. It really wasn't the best idea Dodge ever came up with, and I think it only lasted a year or two in any event, before it went away again.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:45 AM
Johanswe

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Just replace the calipers. Much easier, and around here, they aren't that expensive. (not sure about Sweden though......) As for the height sensing valve, yeah, just bypass it. It really wasn't the best idea Dodge ever came up with, and I think it only lasted a year or two in any event, before it went away again.
Okey thank you for your answer. It seems to be hard to get hand on the 86mm calipers also? Dose it work with the 80 mm? And should i follow this guide for the by pass ? http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1998/05-04-98.htm

Old 07-17-2015, 11:00 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Do you have dual, or single piston calipers up front? If single-piston, have the parts guy look up calipers for a light duty 3/4 ton truck. May have to go back a year or so, as they only made them a couple years. Had the same problem with my 96. Asked for new calipers, and they handed me dual piston fellers.... Not what I have on my truck.

Funny thing is, my truck ISN'T a Light Duty 3/4 ton..... Not sure why the mix and match on calipers on those trucks......

Yep, follow that guide.

Welcome to DF!

Old 07-17-2015, 11:18 AM
Johanswe

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Do you have dual, or single piston calipers up front? If single-piston, have the parts guy look up calipers for a light duty 3/4 ton truck. May have to go back a year or so, as they only made them a couple years. Had the same problem with my 96. Asked for new calipers, and they handed me dual piston fellers.... Not what I have on my truck.

Funny thing is, my truck ISN'T a Light Duty 3/4 ton..... Not sure why the mix and match on calipers on those trucks......

Yep, follow that guide.

Welcome to DF!
Thank you I got single piston calipers, the thing is that in Sweden most stores dont know jack **** about mopar cars etc But i feel like the car is from -99 and you cant find parts to repair it.. The best thing for me would be to find the seal kit but seems impossible.

Old 07-17-2015, 11:33 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Couple decades ago, rebuilding calipers was where it was at. But, over time, it simply became easier/more cost effective to replace them, and rebuild kits kinda fell by the wayside. They are still available..... just hard to find....

I can come up with several kits, from various suppliers, but, most of them do NOT tell me what size caliper piston they fit. Seems to me, that is rather critical information...... the smaller size (half-ton calipers?) are common..... Not so much for the single piston 2500's.

Quick Reply: Front Calipers seal kit 86mm ?