2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

207,000 miles, reliable to tow with?

Old 07-21-2015, 12:42 AM
kd5taa
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is all really good input guys, thanks for the replies.

About small stuff breaking on the road, I've replaced most of it already. It has a new radiator, water pump, pulleys, fan clutch, timing chain. I fabricated a new aluminum plenum pan and installed it last year. I replaced the rear driveshaft u-joints just yesterday. I have some more open discrepancies to solve with the front end still.

It does burn a little oil though honestly and the transmission is really the big what if I think. I don't know much about them so it's pretty much full of magic smoke and I don't have any way of telling how much magic smoke is left in there.

Also like ya'll were saying I haven't pulled much with it. I pulled a friends airstream camper a few times, it was near equivalent or over and it did fine but they were relatively short distances. I have a small boat I pull but it barely knows it's back there.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:43 AM
kd5taa
Rookie

This has me leaning towards HeyYou's Uhaul truck suggestion or maybe letting movers take most of it and just hauling the important stuff in a small trailer.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:05 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Can't say how your truck was maintained previously, but mine has been great towing. I started towing with it at about 120k and it has moved me across country three times over the mountains out west and might do it a fourth. I have the 318 with 5spd so I had zero concerns but keep it in 1:1 (4th) and between 60-65mph. I take time stopping and downshift. I am completely confident in my truck on the hwy, towing or not. These trucks are very stout. Remember, they were the strongest and most powerful half-tons (and higher) in their era. If your plenum is good, get a 180 t-stat and run 10-40 for towing. Drive smart and you should be fine. Might want to add a towing leaf or AAL to avoid too much squat. You know your truck best so trust your mechanical knowledge. I would be scared with the auto trans but some have had good life.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:45 PM
kd5taa
Rookie

Yeah I was planning on just running whatever speed the truck felt best at. I'll be in no hurry so 55mph is what I'm figuring. If I had a five speed I wouldn't even be worried about it!

Does anyone know a way to access the health of an automatic transmission?

Old 07-21-2015, 01:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,164 Likes on 2,918 Posts

Yeah, tear it down and inspect it. Not exactly what you had in mind though I would guess.

Old 07-21-2015, 02:36 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The way I see it it boils down to this.

Is the extra scratch you might save worth the risk of towing it yourself with a high mileage, but otherwise healthy truck? Vs paying that extra scratch to have someone tow it?

If you're on a tight budget and every dollar counts your almost obligated to tow it yourself. If the extra hundreds of dollars isn't a big deal than just pay to go the U-Haul route. I have no idea how expensive or inexpesive that is tho.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:25 AM
zildjian3707
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heyyou's idea isnt bad. Id say give it a whirl and just go easy on her up hill and such. if its looking bad, then find your nearest uhaul.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:53 AM
Ramman18
Champion

Get a trans cooler and lock out OD. That should be it.

I was thinking along the same lines before my first move back in 2010 and UHaul wanted waaaaay too much money for renting plus I wanted to stop half way and visit family but they said I would have to empty the trailer and return it. Then rent ANOTHER trailer and reload it to go all the rest of the way. Stupid. Would have cost over a grand one way. So shop the prices. If it's too close to call, use your truck. The big Uhaul trucks are uncomfortable and can be a handful if you're not used to them.

I ended buying my own trailer for 2k and have now had to move 4 times with it. Best money ever spent. Although it's been broken into once and had a second attempt, I am pleased with it. You probably have more stuff than that but I would still not worry. So what's the worst that happens? You overheat and blow the trans. Aren't you about 100k past the due date anyway on that thing? I have seen a lot of half tons towing heavy trailers and campers out west. Get a cooler and check things over real well. I say go for it.

Oh, and if you don't have stock size tires, get some on there for the trip. Will help power and braking. Some 245s E rating from Discount shouldn't be more than 600 bucks and that's the best thing you can do. I towed with big ol' 285s Nittos and that was like adding another trailer. But I still made it. Four times.

Old 07-22-2015, 11:49 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,164 Likes on 2,918 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Get a trans cooler and lock out OD. That should be it.

I was thinking along the same lines before my first move back in 2010 and UHaul wanted waaaaay too much money for renting plus I wanted to stop half way and visit family but they said I would have to empty the trailer and return it. Then rent ANOTHER trailer and reload it to go all the rest of the way. Stupid. Would have cost over a grand one way. So shop the prices. If it's too close to call, use your truck. The big Uhaul trucks are uncomfortable and can be a handful if you're not used to them.

I ended buying my own trailer for 2k and have now had to move 4 times with it. Best money ever spent. Although it's been broken into once and had a second attempt, I am pleased with it. You probably have more stuff than that but I would still not worry. So what's the worst that happens? You overheat and blow the trans. Aren't you about 100k past the due date anyway on that thing? I have seen a lot of half tons towing heavy trailers and campers out west. Get a cooler and check things over real well. I say go for it.

Oh, and if you don't have stock size tires, get some on there for the trip. Will help power and braking. Some 245s E rating from Discount shouldn't be more than 600 bucks and that's the best thing you can do. I towed with big ol' 285s Nittos and that was like adding another trailer. But I still made it. Four times.
Huh? Let me see if I have this right.....

Don't spend the money on someone else's truck, that they take care of, instead, spend several hundred dollars on tires you will use for one trip?

I really don't see the logic of that course of action.......

Old 07-23-2015, 11:24 AM
Ramman18
Champion

You don't have to. It's not your trip. And Uhaul is not known for quality products. If he's so worried about towing heavy, smaller tires will be very smart. It looks like he has 35s in that pic. Maybe he should just trade it on a brand new 3500 dually CTD with the Aisin. That should do it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 207,000 miles, reliable to tow with?