2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

207,000 miles, reliable to tow with?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 12:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramman18
You don't have to. It's not your trip. And Uhaul is not known for quality products. If he's so worried about towing heavy, smaller tires will be very smart. It looks like he has 35s in that pic. Maybe he should just trade it on a brand new 3500 dually CTD with the Aisin. That should do it.
U-haul may have quality issues, but, if any of their equipment breaks down, it gets repaired/replaced, at no additional cost to you. (I have personal experience with this. They took VERY good care of me, my wife, a friend that was with, and our dog.......)

I suppose if you have money to burn, buying a set of tires for one trip is doable.... (even though it makes zero sense to me.....) but, most folks don't.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:19 PM
kd5taa
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running the metric equivalent of 33's or just a little smaller. I will probably buy some tires before I go but I can't justify a set just for the trip. This is as small as I can stand on my truck with the lift it has.

That is a great point about trying it and worst case if I break down I just swap our stuff from the trailer to a uhaul truck and tow my truck the rest of the way. It'd be a pain but it's a good backup plan in case I decide to try this.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:21 PM
kd5taa
Rookie

On a related side note, torque converters, is there any way to access their health? I was doing some reading about low stall torque converters for towing. I'm not sure how to tell if I would benefit from a new one. Any suggestions?

Old 07-25-2015, 12:04 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

*just* replacing the torque converter is a waste of money. Trans has to come out for that to happen, and that is the bulk of the labor cost of a rebuild in any event. If I were going to get that serious, I would just go for the rebuild, and a new converter to go with it.

So far as I know, there is no real way to gauge the health of the torque converter. It pretty much just works.... until it doesn't..... Of course, it's usually something else that fails first, and simply takes the T/C with it. Our trucks tend to waste the clutch in the T/C though.... and that scatters crap thru the trans, which fails shortly thereafter. The T/C was (is...) considered one of the weak points of the trans. Replacing it with some 80 dollar "OEM Replacement" is another waste of time/money. It's a truck, give it something that will hold up. If you are spending less than 200 on the T/C, you are just giving yourself future trouble.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:27 AM
kd5taa
Rookie

I'd be replacing it myself so labor cost isn't a factor. Good to know that the TC is probably still good though

Quick Reply: 207,000 miles, reliable to tow with?