2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1998 dodge ram 5.9

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 09:27 PM
wll_garretson
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 dodge ram 5.9

Alright so new to the forum not sure if anybody has posted about it or not but here's my issue. The other day my check engine light came on so I ran the code reader and it pulls up speed sensor so I replaced it but it didn't clear the code from showing up after I replaced and erased the code my truck still idles high about 3500 around 20 to 30 mph then it's fine is there a step I'm missing?

Old 07-24-2015, 09:36 PM
CTX
Rookie

Great to have you here on the forums!

Did this "problem" happen all of a sudden?

Where did you buy the speed sensor from? Brand and model # please?

Please explain this comment of your more clearly > "my truck still idles high about 3500 around 20 to 30 mph then it's fine is there a step I'm missing? "

we will try our best, there are a bunch of good folks here,

-C

Old 07-24-2015, 10:03 PM
wll_garretson

Damn prolly should have saved the box but my wife drove the truck monday and noticed the check engine light but it didn't happen when we drove to church sunday its a dorman abs speed sensor I got from oreileys cost me 31 bucks. So I haven't drove it since this happened but I drove it today took it to get the code said it was the speed sensor bought it and replaced it after that I took it back and erased the code but a few minutes down the road it popped back up. What I mean when I say it idles high is when I take off down the road the rpms go to about 3k to 4k until it reaches about 30mph then it runs just fine I'm not sure if theirs a step I'm missing or what so I figured I'd ask around

Old 07-24-2015, 10:26 PM
CTX
Rookie

what was the code#?

Start easy...I recently replaced my ignition coil with a Borg Warner (O'reilly) replacement and it crapped in 2days! My code read: misfire on all 8 cylinders -- so traditionally I thought of what I had just changed prior to any issues at all and low and behold it was the coil again. For good measure; installed new wires and plugs at the same time. Distcap/rotor were done 2k ago. Airtex Wells brass cap and rotor contacts. Was running great until she started squealing tonight (see my current thread for more info on that).

Old 07-25-2015, 12:00 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Does the speedo work normally?

Quick Reply: 1998 dodge ram 5.9