2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Gears and diff. upgrade questions

Old 07-25-2015, 08:37 PM
comedyman23
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gears and diff. upgrade questions

Greetings fellow dodge owners. Somewhat new here to the forums and I got some questions. I have a 99 1500 4x4. When I got the truck last year, I converted it a 5 speed with the NV3500. A few months ago I put a new engine in. I'd like to upgrade the gearing but I'm not sure what I should upgrade to. Any suggestions ? I do moderate towing, with a good mix of highway and city driving. Also I would like to change out the carrier in the rear end, upgrading to a limited slip. I've read a lot about it, and I'm leaning to a detroit but I would like a 2nd opinion before I go out and spend the money on it. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Old 07-25-2015, 10:12 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts

Welcome to DF comedyman,
To offer advice on which gears you want and what type of traction aiding device you want we need a little more info. What size tires do you have and what size do you plan on going to? What do you use your truck for? Why do you think you need a limited slip or locker? A Detroit is a locker not a limited slip. If you want a good limited slip you should look at Tru Trac made by the same company as a Detroit.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:43 AM
comedyman23
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the welcome. I knew I was forgetting something in the post lol. My tire size is 285/75/r16. I may upgrade to 35s down the road, but I'm not positive yet. For now I'm planning to stick to the current size. I'm looking for limited slip because I live in northern ohio, and driving in the snow is always a bitch, sometimes even when in 4wd. Anything that can make driving in the snow a little easier the better.

Old 07-26-2015, 10:22 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

For 33's, 4:10 would be good, but, if you see 35's in your future, I would seriously consider making the leap to 4.56. That's a bit deeper than absolutely necessary, but, with the added weight/rolling resistance/etc, it will give you a better torque advantage, for which, your trans will thank you.

What type of tires you get is going to have more of an impact on winter driving capabilities than a posi, or locker..... Granted, they ARE nice to have..... but, won't always save the day for you.

Detroit Truetrac would be a great choice for a limited slip diff for ya, not as harsh as a locker, no clutches to wear out, no need to any special additives. install it, and forget it. (and enjoy it. )

Whereabouts in Ohio?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gears and diff. upgrade questions