2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

retaining ring plier- for transfer case ring removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 11:52 PM
ramv1014
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy retaining ring plier- for transfer case ring removal

I saw pics about using a needle nose plier but I could not spread and move it out of it's groove. Too bad I didn't check at Oreillys or carquest here first.. It appears neither store has any at this time in this small town.
Did you put the transfer case saver on and what actual retaining ring plier works for this type of ring? I'm willing to spend $50 more to get this thing off NOW.

Last edited by ramv1014; 07-26-2015 at 12:08 AM.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:57 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're really careful and patient flat head screwdrivers work

Old 07-26-2015, 12:06 AM
ramv1014
Amateur

no- thanks

Old 07-26-2015, 10:25 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Snap ring pliers. can probably find them at most any auto parts store.

But, since you don't want to re-use it, could just grab it with a regular pair of pliers, and twist it till it breaks. Then it comes off easy.

Old 07-26-2015, 03:05 PM
ramv1014
Amateur
Smile TC Saver on

HI,
Admittedly , I wrote my first post out of frustration and upon getting to Oreilly's this morn I bought these nifty pliers for $17. I had the ring off in a minute and the tc coller on. By the way, I took the center bearing carrier off by undoing the top four bolts. Well, all this is preventative maintenance but my truck has 85k miles and the retaining ring was just fine.
Update 8/9 Everything is just fine after putting the saver coller on but I wish I would have replaced the rubber seal at the end of the tc extension because it leaks now- just a little- and I am hesitant about doing the shaft removal again. I did smear silicone dialectic grease on the shaft spline and some on the inside rubber seal before putting the driveshaft in. The dialectic grease revitalizes seals without damaging the rubber but it didn't work in this case. I guess the seal had worn though it did not leak prior to the job.
Update 8/24 Well, I bought a new $13 seal and did the whole driveshaft removal again. I went 10 mi. and no leaking. For about 1/2 hr. I could not tap the seal in straight using a very small hammer; lightly tapping around the top flange as I turned the housing but it finally went straight and 15 min. later it made it's way in completely.
Update 10/23/15 I said the retaining ring was fine but I forgot to mention that before I did this I started to hear a slushing sound and sort of a clicking rattle sound at 3k rpm when pulling my trailer. This went away after putting in the 'saver'. I came across a reference to this kind of noise being the chain and shaft moving to much against the retaining ring under high load, rubbing and banging.

Retaining ring plier

Last edited by ramv1014; 10-23-2015 at 10:36 PM. Reason: center bearing carrier removal, updates

Quick Reply: retaining ring plier- for transfer case ring removal