2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

can't find the miss

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 10:48 PM
easyrider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow can't find the miss

First a little history.
I installed a 5.9 from a 2000 Dakota R/T into a 1965 Dart Convertable. I know this may be the wrong place to ask this question but I haven't gotten an answer on the A body fourm.
I used the wiring harness, fuse box and computer from the Dakota. I sent the computer to Solo Electronics and had it re flashed to remove the security system and check it out. After all was installed, it cranked right up. didn't run very smooth. A friend told me that I needed to have the crank sensor and cam sensor sinked so I took it to the dodge dealer and had that done. No change. At this point I have changed the crank sensor, cam sensor, wires (twice), plugs (twice), injectors and fuel rails, checked fuel pressure and it still misses. Not very noticeable just driving around town, but very obvious under load.
Crazy thing is, if I accelerate hard from a start, it will miss all the way through 1st, change to 2nd and about half way through 2nd, it stops missing. I'm at a loss.
Tom

Old 08-03-2015, 09:04 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Broke this out into it's own thread.

Are you getting misfire codes? Check engine light flashing at you on accel? Did you route your plug wires per the tech service bulletin? (It's available in the second gen faq/diy section.)

What transmission are you using? What trans is the PCM thinking is behind the engine?

How many miles on the engine? Fix the plenum while it was out? (see plenum sticky thread, in this forum.)

Old 08-03-2015, 10:03 PM
easyrider

I don't think I have the OBDII wired correctly. It isn't showing any codes for the engine, only the trans. I'm running the original gauges so i don't get any lights flashing. I didn't route the plug wires per the bulletin, but i will.(I haven't seen the bulletin) I'm running the 904 behind it. The engine has only 40K miles on it. I did put a new plenum gasket on it before i installed the engine.

Attached Thumbnails can't find the miss-img_1260-custom-.jpg  
Old 08-03-2015, 10:24 PM
jrox44
Professional

How did the motor run before u pulled it? And maby check ignition timing. Might be off a few degrees

Old 08-04-2015, 10:52 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

And maby check ignition timing.
Timing is controlled by the pcm.

You need a pcm for a stick or you will get nothing but codes for the trans. I would have done the surgery to use the 46re instead of the 904. You need to determine if your miss is in the ignition or injectors. Sounds like it may be in the injectors. Take the plugs out and see if you notice any differences that may give you an idea witch cylinder is the problem. How did it run before the swap?

Old 08-04-2015, 09:47 PM
easyrider

Engine was pulled from a wreck by someone else. I never heard it run before. I took it to the Dodge dealer and had the cam sensor synced. I have replaced crank sensor, cam sensor, plugs, wires, injectors, and MAP sensor. Changing the MAP helped but it isn't consistent but i'm getting closer. When it kicks in, it will scorch the tires. It lit off all cylinders in first gear today. This will be a beast when I get this solved. After running around town for a while, it began to idle rough. When I reved the engine to clear it up, it didn't idle back down right away. I did this several times with the same results. I backed out of the driveway and drove down the street and it ran OK. I have read that after changing components, you have to re-teach the computer. Is there anything to this?

Old 08-04-2015, 09:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Yep. If you change a critical component (and all the sensors fall in to that category), best to reset the PCM, and let it relearn everything. I am a bit paranoid about that.... So, I disconnect the battery, turn the headlights on for a minute or two, turn them back off, and reconnect the battery. Jump in the truck, turn the key to on, (not start, don't touch anything) count to ten, then start the truck. (gives the PCM the opportunity to figure out where "zero" is on the TPS, and also to calibrate the IAC.) Truck will have to re-learn idle, so, it may take it a few minutes to figure that out.

Have you checked the connectors at the PCM? Dirty injector connection can give you some odd results...... wouldn't hurt to pull the connectors, hit 'em all with contact cleaner, maybe some dielectric grease, and plug 'em back in.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:22 PM
easyrider

I don't think I've been re-setting the computer correctly, if that's the way you do it. I'll try that. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails can't find the miss-img_1258-custom-.jpg  
Old 08-04-2015, 10:28 PM
easyrider

After replacing injectors, how do you get the air out of the fuel rails? Only one side has a bleeder.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:35 PM
Adobedude
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The pressurized fuel will replace the air in short order, it's not a bleeder, it's for checking fuel pressure.
Nice little ride...

The Magnum 360 motor in a Dakota R/T is identical in everyway to the Magnum 360 motor in Dodge Ram. These guys should be able to figure it out, guys on A body's not so much.

Another good source of info would be the Dakota R/T forum.

Quick Reply: can't find the miss