2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No Power, P1391

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 11:10 PM
Chuco
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Power, P1391

I have a 99 Ram 1500 5.2L 4x4 that has no power. I first noticed it when I was driving up a steep hill on the free-way. I had been on the road for 45 minutes and it was running fine, but when I approached the hill and gave it gas to keep my speed, it revved up like it was kickin into passing gear but did not go any faster. Since I got the truck, I replaced both the speed sensor in the rear dif and the ABS speed sensor on the bell housing before the issue. After the issue occurred, I replaced the following: Air filter, Distributor (has a new CMP Sensor), Dis. Cap, Spark Plugs, CKP, ATF and ATF Oil Filter, and have had an oil change. I keep getting back a P1391 which is "CMP or CKP Signal Intermittent Condition" (enginecodes.com) or signal loss. I got it from a friend and after we got the battery charged up it ran fine for a while, probably 1000+ miles. Please help possible causes and fixes.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:30 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Did you have fuel sync reset after replacing the distributor?

Have you traced the wiring harness for the cam and crank sensors? Check for broken, frayed, or pinched wires? Checked/clean the connectors on the PCM?

Old 08-12-2015, 10:51 AM
Chuco

Thanks for the quick response HeyYou. I have not done the fuel sync rest yet. CMP and CKP are both brand new so the wires should be intact. As for the wire harness, I have not checked. I will check these and work on the sync as well today. Do you have a reference for how to do the fuel sync?

Old 08-12-2015, 11:27 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Need a scan tool that can read fuel sync. Most of the little consumer grade, hand held fellers can't...... may need to take it to a shop to have it checked. It isn't hideously expensive..... should be more than an hour labor total to have it set. (and hopefully less....)

Old 08-12-2015, 04:26 PM
Chuco

Great. I think I can get my hands on a DRB and I found how to re tune it. I'll let you know if that works out. Thanks for your help.

Old 08-12-2015, 05:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Resetting fuel sync I think is only part of your problem. If the PCM is losing signal from one, or the other, that is going to continue to be a problem. Need to figger that one out too..

What brand sensors did you get?

Happy to be of service.

While you have the scanner..... monitor cam and crank sensors.... see which one is giving you fits.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:55 AM
Chuco

So I was not able to get the tool. Looks like I'm gonna need to run it into a shop this week. The CKP is BWD and I think the cmp is as well but it came with the dist. when I got it so I'll have to double check.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:25 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

BWD Arrrrr I had one of those crap out with in a year. Replaced it with a Delphi one and been running ever since. This may help you get the fuel sync in the ball park.

Old 08-13-2015, 03:54 PM
Chuco

Sweet! Thanks. I just guessed based on where the roatter should be when at tdc. I'll see if using this marker will get it closer today n let you know.

Old 09-10-2015, 02:47 PM
Chuco
Default Update

So I finally got my truck into the shop and they redid the timing. I have to go pick it up today but they said the code is gone and has not come back. However, they are saying that my catalytic converter is bad as well. I will pick it up and let you guys know more about what is going on now, but I have a question in regards to the CC. Should I look at replacing it with a OE set up or should I upgrade? If I upgrade, what should I take into consideration? I was thinking maybe strait piping it, is that worth it? Thanks again.

Quick Reply: No Power, P1391