2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Vacuum line for HVAC control cracked and broke at firewall

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 09:50 AM
5mall5nail5
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vacuum line for HVAC control cracked and broke at firewall

Hey guys - I have no air flow out dash vents, only defrost. I know it's because of the vacuum line that complete disintegrated at the firewall. I pulled the glove box out and can't see anything at all - only the green line going to the fresh air actuator.

What do I need to remove in order to replace the line that passes through the firewall?

Thanks guys!

Old 08-29-2015, 03:15 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

The vac line goes through the firewall with the A/C lines.
You have to pull the dash and the HVAC to run a new line (not fun).

If you carefully look where the line went through the firewall, you might find the tail of where it broke off, and be able to retrieve it with some needle-nose pliers.
You only need to pull out an 1" or so, and that will be enough to join it back up.

Get some 1/8"ID rubber tubing and make a sleeve (2" long will do)... wipe a small amount of silicone sealant on the outside of the plastic tube and slide the joint together... give it time to setup, then push it back in so the rubber is at the firewall, so the plastic doesn't chaff through again.

This worked a treat for me, and others here have done the same.

Old 08-29-2015, 04:29 PM
5mall5nail5

Originally Posted by Spillage
The vac line goes through the firewall with the A/C lines.
You have to pull the dash and the HVAC to run a new line (not fun).

If you carefully look where the line went through the firewall, you might find the tail of where it broke off, and be able to retrieve it with some needle-nose pliers.
You only need to pull out an 1" or so, and that will be enough to join it back up.

Get some 1/8"ID rubber tubing and make a sleeve (2" long will do)... wipe a small amount of silicone sealant on the outside of the plastic tube and slide the joint together... give it time to setup, then push it back in so the rubber is at the firewall, so the plastic doesn't chaff through again.

This worked a treat for me, and others here have done the same.
Thanks - yeah the problem is that the line is revealed on the engine side of the firewall, but it's all cracked and brittle. A piece broke off and I can bend it barely at all and it'll just snap in two. Sucks.

Any write ups on pulling the dash?

Old 08-29-2015, 05:31 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker

Quit snapping bits off (making it shorter), and gently pull the slack through.
The engine bay side is brittle due to age and heat... inside the cab it is not as bad since it didn't get engine heat baking it.
Pull it through while you can (you're luck you have something to get hold of).
You do not want to be pulling the dash and HVAC to do the job, as that is not a quick and easy job, and at this point your dash will likely disintegrate as you try to take it out.
There are plenty of dash stories on this site if you search (search is your friend).

Here's a youtube video

Last edited by Spillage; 08-29-2015 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Added video
Old 08-30-2015, 11:09 PM
5mall5nail5

Quit snapping bits off (making it shorter), and gently pull the slack through.
The engine bay side is brittle due to age and heat... inside the cab it is not as bad since it didn't get engine heat baking it.
Pull it through while you can (you're luck you have something to get hold of).
You do not want to be pulling the dash and HVAC to do the job, as that is not a quick and easy job, and at this point your dash will likely disintegrate as you try to take it out.
There are plenty of dash stories on this site if you search (search is your friend).
Thanks - how much slack do you think is on the other side? I only have about an inch sticking out. I did pull on it and am convinced there ain't much slack in it.

Old 08-31-2015, 06:59 AM
Spillage
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5
Thanks - how much slack do you think is on the other side? I only have about an inch sticking out. I did pull on it and am convinced there ain't much slack in it.
There isn't much... maybe 1".

Old 09-02-2015, 01:31 PM
5mall5nail5

There isn't much... maybe 1".
Yeah I am willing to bet the slack was pulled out of this vac line once before... she's not budgin'

Quick Reply: Vacuum line for HVAC control cracked and broke at firewall