2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front axle seals.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 08:53 PM
drtydn
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front axle seals.

Before winter sets in I want to change my front spicer 44 seals. I know they need to be done, I just don't know what ones to buy. Because It has the CAD, do I have 3 seals on that side? For the diff and the outer axle and the outer seal?

Old 08-29-2015, 09:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Only two axle seals. You need to completely disassemble the the axle internals to get to the drivers side seal. Passenger side seal is accessible thru the cad housing. Need to pull the cover, and it is on the outboard side. Outer axle needs to come out, knock out the old seal, and use the nifty special tool to pull the new one into the seat. Drivers side is just outboard of the carrier..... Yeah. Such fun.

If they aren't leaking, I would just leave 'em.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:51 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Me too?

If it's not leaking, leave it be?

This is my right front. But is it true that there are 2 seals, an inner and an outer? I understand that the passenger side is not as hard to do as the drivers and it looks like you can just pull the shaft and u joint out as one piece. But, most of you, that are more knowledgable than me, would leave it?

Attached Thumbnails Front axle seals.-image.jpeg  
Old 01-25-2016, 11:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

That one is just a dust seal. A fair few folks just leave them off, as they tend to trap crap inside the axle tube there..... The oil seal is further inboard, just to the outside of the cad housing cover.

Yep, you can just pull the outer axle, (which involves removing the hub/bearing on that side...) pull the cad cover, and the seal is in there. You WILL need to manufacture the nifty tool to pull it into place though. (some folks just used threaded rod, some big washers, and the appropriate size socket to pull it into place.)

Is your axle dripping fluid? If not, I wouldn't bother with it.

Old 01-25-2016, 11:23 PM
kd5taa
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with HeyYou if it's not leaking don't mess with it. I did it a few years back and bought the special tool. It was expensive but definitely worth it, mine were leaking pretty bad. I'm of course talking about the inner oil seals, my truck doesn't have the dust seals, hasn't since I've owned it. If it's just your dust seals that are bad I wouldn't worry about them.

Old 01-26-2016, 12:23 AM
dbbd1
Record Breaker

Ah, cool. Thanks.

No leaky, no worry.

Old 08-10-2016, 10:56 PM
Anthony Freeman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For anyone that needs a tool to replace the passenger side seal on on a 2nd gen ram, I made my own tool on my 3d printer to install one. All you need is all thread some nuts and the piece I can print for you cheap. Yes it's plastic but works like a champ.
Just run all thread through it with a nut and bam. Actually I just calculated my cost to print these on my 3d printer. It cost 80 cents to print. I'll make one for anybody in need of one for free. All I ask is pass them on to others as they need them.

Last edited by Anthony Freeman; 08-11-2016 at 10:11 PM.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:13 AM
dbbd1
Record Breaker

Nice! Thanks, I will keep that in mind.

Old 08-12-2016, 11:25 AM
oxymoron29
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony Freeman
For anyone that needs a tool to replace the passenger side seal on on a 2nd gen ram, I made my own tool on my 3d printer to install one. All you need is all thread some nuts and the piece I can print for you cheap. Yes it's plastic but works like a champ.
Just run all thread through it with a nut and bam. Actually I just calculated my cost to print these on my 3d printer. It cost 80 cents to print. I'll make one for anybody in need of one for free. All I ask is pass them on to others as they need them.
Now that's cool. Love hearing about people that do stuff like this. Never even thought about doing such a thing at a local printer when I did mine and I am no stranger to CAD. Here is my 2 cents worth of how I did this job:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...placement.html

The tool you made looks nice and beefy where it counts, I've sent you a PM. Might as well chuck it in the tool pile just in case. Mine are still leak free over a year later.

Old 08-13-2016, 09:12 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

But is it true that there are 2 seals, an inner and an outer?
The older axles didn't come with them only the inner seals. I have seen others use the outer aftermarket seals but not sure how well they work.

http://www.sealsit.com/jeep-axle-seal.html

Quick Reply: Front axle seals.