2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tie rod help

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 03:20 PM
bdkiger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tie rod help

So I was told my right-outer tie rod was bad by a shop and they showed me the play. Looking up the part, I found it's called a "R.H. connecting tie rod". I removed the end with the rubber bushing, but I'm having a lot of trouble trying to get the threaded end out. I loosened the clamps on the sleeve and removed the bolts completely, do the clamps themselves need to come off as well? Also, should I be turning it clockwise or counter-clockwise? Please help! thanks

Old 09-03-2015, 03:29 PM
BigGreenRam
Professional

Spray it with p b blaster let it sit a bit the threads are very fine put some tape close to the clamp u will be able to see if your going the right way or not and it will help when u put new one in it will get u close tighten everything up good take it to get a alignment

Old 09-03-2015, 03:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

have you knocked it out of the knuckle yet? Do that first..... then just unthread THAT end ONLY from the adjuster. Try and install the new one the same number of threads in. Get an alignment when you are done.

Old 09-03-2015, 05:03 PM
bdkiger

Originally Posted by HeyYou
have you knocked it out of the knuckle yet? Do that first..... then just unthread THAT end ONLY from the adjuster. Try and install the new one the same number of threads in. Get an alignment when you are done.
I just did that. On second thought, I think I'm going to replace the whole thing. Connecting tie rod, adjusting sleeve, and tie rod end. Advanced wants a lot of the parts, anyone know where I can order them a little cheaper? I looked on Rockauto and I can't seem to find the correct parts.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:07 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

try some advanceauto coupon codes, you can order online and pickup at the store a little later same day.