2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 Front axle seal replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 10:24 PM
lunaman33
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Front axle seal replacement

I can't seem to find an axle seal tool to rent in town at the parts stores. And the price is way to high for a one time use tool. Does anybody have an alternative solution other than the expensive one time use tool? My parts are on the way so I really need a good idea for this weekends fun. Thanks

Old 09-15-2015, 07:08 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Get some all tread and a washer that will fit the seal. Use some kind of flat stock with a hole in it for the all thread. You basically tighten up the nut till the seal goes in. Seen someone else make this but don't have the link.

Old 09-15-2015, 02:06 PM
oxymoron29
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't use washers as a seal driver because you will crush the lip of the rubber seal.

Passenger's seal

Driver's

You need to use something like a hole saw or ABS plastic pieces shown above. I hunted through Home Depot for some suitable drivers and used a couple adapters. This almost fit the passenger's when I bought it:

It was a bit too big so I had to take down the threads before it would fit in (makeshift lathe)

I used a dishwasher bushing as a driver for the driver's side, with the top cut off. I jump into these projects with the intent of taking pictures and always forget so here's a stock picture

top cut off, drilled for 3/4" rod

I used a piece of wood as a holding plate on the spindle

The driver's side rig looked like this

For the passenger's side I used 2 nuts on the business end as a sandwich. I drilled out a washer to use as a locator for the driver

Then the driver goes on

Then a big washer and nut

The only action shot I got (this was before I stuck a washer on)

I'll mention a few things in hindsight. A metal driver is likely a better idea (hole saw, piece of exhaust pipe, pipe fittings, etc.) as it would make the system more rigid. I used plastic ones so as not to deform / hurt the seals, however I think this is a non-issue. I had problems with drawing the seals in evenly, even with a helper. It surely doesn't help that Dana chose not to put a step on either side for the seal to push up against as a locator / bottoming feature, so you are left driving it in as far and as crooked as you please. I got mine straightened up once in most of the way by using a long bar to go right through the entire axle, from the opposing side, having my dad hold the driver in place while I seated the side that was not quite even with a hammer.

Although fairly even all around, you can see the deformation that the drivers had:

If I were to do it again I'd use the long bar or set of extensions / hammering method to drive them in from the start. IMO there is more control as you can correct and hit certain sides to straighten up as you go. That's not to say the drawing method is bad, in fact I think with a metal driver that is sandwiched on both sides to eliminate any off center movement might be the answer to nice even drawing.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:27 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Can't use washers as a seal driver because you will crush the lip of the rubber seal.
The washer needs to be near a perfect fit to contact the outer metal part of the seal NOT the rubber itself. I suppose you could use a socket if you can find the correct fit with a smaller diameter piece of all tread. I have heard others have used a similar method but hammered it in from the other side.

Old 09-16-2015, 02:49 PM
oxymoron29
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It wouldn't be a stellar idea to push on the outer lip of the seals especially in the case of the passengers side where it is literally a knife edge. Would be extremely difficult to centrally locate and size something the same OD / ever so slightly larger than the seal. Driving on the rubber is fine as it is metal backed and like you mentioned a socket would likely work well provided it was held with a nut on either side to prevent any off-axis movement while driving.

Quick Reply: 2001 Front axle seal replacement