2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

possible water pump?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 10:02 PM
BrandonBuc'em
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

excuse my language. this is the worst ive seen it leak.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:38 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Looks a lot like a failed water pump to me.

Old 09-28-2015, 01:50 PM
BrandonBuc'em
Veteran

i ordered a gates water pump, inlet tube, thermostat and the housing. felpro gaskets and a new fancy radiator cap. should be here end of this week or early next week.

obviously i need to keep an eye on coolant level. but is it ok to drive to work only with it like this till i get the parts? the gauge in the dash has never shown signs of overheating.

Old 09-28-2015, 06:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

I wouldn't. That's a pretty serious leak, and it's only going to get worse. The pump may fail completely, and then you would need a tow......

Old 09-29-2015, 02:13 AM
BrandonBuc'em
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I wouldn't. That's a pretty serious leak, and it's only going to get worse. The pump may fail completely, and then you would need a tow......
lucky for me i work for a tow company. but i dont have a choice until the new pump gets here.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:01 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

That is alot of loss. I wouldn't drive it, you drop enough coolant, the temp sensor may not tell you soon enough before you ruin stuff.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:30 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Years ago my pump sprang a leak in the housing. I was about 80 miles away from home and had to limp it back. Luckily i made it to a walmart and bought about 8 gallons of water. Filled it up(with the cap off) and drove it until it started to over heat then stop and wait to refill it again. Made it most of the way but had to refill the gallons at a business that had spicket. Pulled the pump off and this is what i found.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:05 PM
BrandonBuc'em
Veteran

Originally Posted by Moparite
Years ago my pump sprang a leak in the housing. I was about 80 miles away from home and had to limp it back. Luckily i made it to a walmart and bought about 8 gallons of water. Filled it up(with the cap off) and drove it until it started to over heat then stop and wait to refill it again. Made it most of the way but had to refill the gallons at a business that had spicket. Pulled the pump off and this is what i found.
yeah im driving around with 3 gallons of water and when i park i set the pan under it to catch all fluids. it leaks all fluid from the resivior and a good bit from the rad as well. i drive maybe 4 miles to and from work. it does get to operating temp during each drive though. which is the scariest part for me. like i mentioned before, i dont have a choice but to drive it until the new parts come in and then ill be swapping out allot of things relative to the water pump.
im sure this is the original pump so 168k isnt too bad.

also when doing the repair im thinking of disconnecting the wires at the alternator and the ac compressor and then unbolting that bracket and keeping it all together and move it out of the way. every video i see shows ppl unbolting the alt and compressor from the bracket and then unbolting the bracket by it self. what do you recommend?

without a fan clutch removal tool, do you have any tips on getting that off and then back on?

Old 09-29-2015, 05:28 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

You can make one with either a piece of wood or flat stock and a couple bolts. I still have a makeshift one buried somewhere in the garage from when I installed my efan ten years ago...

Old 09-29-2015, 05:52 PM
BrandonBuc'em
Veteran

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
You can make one with either a piece of wood or flat stock and a couple bolts. I still have a makeshift one buried somewhere in the garage from when I installed my efan ten years ago...
im thinking about renting one, but they have like 5 or 6 different clutch fan removal tools. not sure which one i need.
parts are scheduled to be here on monday next week, so they will probably be here friday or saturday. trying to make sure i have everything needed to do this job.

Quick Reply: possible water pump?