2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Timing Set Replacement - TDC? Pic!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 05:51 PM
Monroe00ES
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Set Replacement - TDC? Pic!!

So I'm getting ready to install my new timing set on my 97 5.9L and wondering what the proper way to align the marks on the cam and crank gear is.

If I align the mark on the harmonic balancer to TDC, does this align the timing chain to the correct position?

My assumtion is the line in the harmonic balancer should line up with the TDC line on the timing chain cover...is that correct?

Also, when turning the motor over by hand, does it matter which direction you turn it? Clockwise or counter clockwise when facing the front of the engine?

Old 09-27-2015, 08:00 PM
onegoodmason
Veteran

I've always just removed the cover , and balancer , then lined up the two marks on the OEM chain gears before removing the chain , then simply slide off the old , and slide on the new . Never failed me yet . You should have some instruction on lining up the marks with the new chain . Just get the old to line up with that and go

Old 09-27-2015, 09:44 PM
bargeman
Professional

Did my chain today. Cam gear at 6 oclock and the crank gear at 12 oclock. TDC should be on 1 cylinder. If you want to know what stroke it is on just take off the cap and look at the rotor. If its pointing towards the 1 sparkplug wire contact then its the compression stroke. If its pointing in the opposite direction then its the exhaust stroke. It was easy for me cuz I had the plenum off.

Last edited by bargeman; 09-28-2015 at 07:11 AM.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:24 AM
Monroe00ES

just went to pull the harmonic balancer off, and none of the bolts that came in the puller kit seem to be the correct thread pitch.

Does anyone know the thread pitch of the crank pulley to harmonic balancer bolts?

Old 09-28-2015, 12:30 AM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, it will be at TDC cyl 1 if you line up the marks. But you need to make sure it is TDC compression stroke(rotor pointed at no 1 mark inside distributor cap)

You can also line up TDC cyl 6 if desired.

Always turn the motor Clockwise

Old 09-28-2015, 10:37 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Cam dot a six o'clock, and crank gear at 12 o'clock puts cylinder six in firing position. Don't worry about any of that though. Just line up the dots on the original set, swap 'em out, make sure your dots are still aligned, and call it a day.

Quick Reply: Timing Set Replacement - TDC? Pic!!