2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brake Line Replacement

Old 09-28-2015, 12:56 PM
shak
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake Line Replacement

My intermediate rear brake line blew! It's the long section from the front to the back, and it rusted out... inside the driver's side frame rail near the rear gas tank strap.
I want to replace everything from the front all the way to the rear wheel cylinders.
I searched the threads, and the DIYs, but couldn't find the answer to this question.
On a 1996 Ram 1500 Ext. Cab, 5.9L, 2WD, with rear ABS, exactly what brake line parts do I need to replace from the front junction block all the way back to the rear wheel cylinders?
Here's what I've found so far:
Fine Lines WIN9602SS; Front to Rear Brake Line Set
https://www.sstubes.com/win9602-3
Fine Lines WRA9401SS; Rear Axle Brake Line Kit; Stainless Steel
https://www.sstubes.com/wra9401
Dorman H38636 Hydraulic Brake Hose, Rear Center.
Amazon.com: Dorman H38636 Hydraulic Brake Hose: Automotive Amazon.com: Dorman H38636 Hydraulic Brake Hose: Automotive

Besides replacing any rusted bolts, clamps and clips...is there anything else in the way of hard parts that I'll need?

Thanks,
Kevin

Last edited by shak; 09-28-2015 at 01:07 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,164 Likes on 2,918 Posts

That's all the lines. Should be able to re-use the clips that hold it in place. Start spraying the fittings with PB Blaster now. Hit 'em several times while waiting for your parts to come in. That'll make em easier to change..

Old 09-28-2015, 06:34 PM
shak
Rookie

Thanks Hey You...for the prompt reply.
I'll hit 'em good with PB juice...then probably go all the way through the rear brakes.
Although the truck only has 105K miles...it is 20 years old. Time to just bite the bullet...and drop a few more dimes while I'm in there!☺

Old 10-07-2015, 02:39 PM
Low51
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shak
Thanks Hey You...for the prompt reply.
I'll hit 'em good with PB juice...then probably go all the way through the rear brakes.
Although the truck only has 105K miles...it is 20 years old. Time to just bite the bullet...and drop a few more dimes while I'm in there!☺
You might as well check the rest of the lines. I had to change that line this spring and just replaced the ones up front last weekend.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:31 AM
shak
Rookie

Thanks Low51. You're right. I'm kickin' myself now for not ordering the rest of the lines. It would have saved me another $20.00 shipping charge, and the lines would at least be here. Earlier this summer, I did the front brakes, calipers, wheel bearings, and shocks. That really would have been the time to do those front lines. Just sign me:
"an old man who learns his lessons the hard way."

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake Line Replacement