2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Just bought my first truck

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 12:15 AM
evilemokid94
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought my first truck

Hello all, I just bought my first truck on saturday. It's a 99 ram 1509, quad cab Laramie, 5.9 4x4. I'm wondering whats something you guys recommend I check over first and do since I bought it used. Also what parts interchange from the newer rams? I'd like to add keyless entry with a remote start, and overhead digital display, tow mirrors, an electric driver seat if possible. As it sits now I need to pull the radiator and replace it, check on the front brakes because when I hit the brakes she pulls hard to the left, fix the Schrader valve on the ac dryer as its bad, and figure out why it grinds when I go full lock either left or right, and fix my dome light.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:17 AM
evilemokid94
Professional

Originally Posted by evilemokid94
Hello all, I just bought my first truck on saturday. It's a 99 ram 1509, quad cab Laramie, 5.9 4x4. I'm wondering whats something you guys recommend I check over first and do since I bought it used. Also what parts interchange from the newer rams? I'd like to add keyless entry with a remote start, and overhead digital display, tow mirrors, an electric driver seat if possible. As it sits now I need to pull the radiator and replace it, check on the front brakes because when I hit the brakes she pulls hard to the left, fix the Schrader valve on the ac dryer as its bad, and figure out why it grinds when I go full lock either left or right, and fix my dome light.

Was using her for some yard work yesterday

Old 09-29-2015, 12:57 AM
95' 360 Ram
Professional

Well it seems like you got a lot planned, how many miles does it got? For the inspection part, I would check fluid levels and color along with the transfer case and front/rear diff. Check your front brake pad wear to see if everything is wearing correctly. I wouldn't mess with the A/C system since there are some pretty harsh punishments if guidelines aren't followed, let the professionals deal with that. As for part interchangeability, anything is possible. The keyless entry and remote start would have to be aftermarket seeing as that Dodge didn't offer that with any pickup models of that time. Wouldn't bother with tow mirrors, I doubt you'll have a load large enough to require them and if you do, I sure hope you aren't doing highway speeds.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:48 AM
1997JollyGreenGiant
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd read the plenum thread, the plenum gaskets go out on these trucks, and in the thread, you'll learn about it and how to fix it.

Also, when my AC didn't work, I had a shop drain and recover all the refrigerant first, then I replaced all my seals and several other AC components, then re-filled it.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:28 AM
LoneWolfArcher
Professional

Nice truck! And welcome to the forums. You found the right place for help with your truck and things to watch for and fix.

By the way, how is the heat in your truck? These trucks have a couple of different issues with the heat.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:38 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Why are the pictures not automatically resizing?

Nice truck.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:44 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

If you live in the rust belt check the brake line that runs along the frame next to the gas tank. They have been known to burst while driving, Not fun!

Old 09-29-2015, 01:56 PM
evilemokid94
Professional

Originally Posted by 95' 360 Ram
Well it seems like you got a lot planned, how many miles does it got? For the inspection part, I would check fluid levels and color along with the transfer case and front/rear diff. Check your front brake pad wear to see if everything is wearing correctly. I wouldn't mess with the A/C system since there are some pretty harsh punishments if guidelines aren't followed, let the professionals deal with that. As for part interchangeability, anything is possible. The keyless entry and remote start would have to be aftermarket seeing as that Dodge didn't offer that with any pickup models of that time. Wouldn't bother with tow mirrors, I doubt you'll have a load large enough to require them and if you do, I sure hope you aren't doing highway speeds.
it's alot planned but it's stuff I plan on doing over time lol, except the remote start, I'd like that before winter time lol iv already planned to change the rear and front diff fluid and gaskets, I wouldn't have any idea on how to check the transfer case but I do have a pump if I have to pump the fluid out, I'm hoping to pull the front tires and just need pads but today when I was moving the truck I heard a slight grinding sound like the caliper isn't releasing far enough from the rotor so I may need a caliper or brake hose and I think I might go ahead and throw new u joints in the front aswell just to be safe.

Old 09-29-2015, 01:59 PM
evilemokid94
Professional

Originally Posted by 1997JollyGreenGiant
I'd read the plenum thread, the plenum gaskets go out on these trucks, and in the thread, you'll learn about it and how to fix it.

Also, when my AC didn't work, I had a shop drain and recover all the refrigerant first, then I replaced all my seals and several other AC components, then re-filled it.
what are the signs that the plenum is leaking?

Old 09-29-2015, 02:01 PM
evilemokid94
Professional

Originally Posted by LoneWolfArcher
Nice truck! And welcome to the forums. You found the right place for help with your truck and things to watch for and fix.

By the way, how is the heat in your truck? These trucks have a couple of different issues with the heat.
I haven't checked, the radiator needs replaced as its swelling from what I'm guessing someone had water in it, but the PO said he put a heat core in last winter so I'm not sure, what issues are there?

Quick Reply: Just bought my first truck