2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Alignment Bar and Tie Rod Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 03:53 AM
IronGollum
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment Bar and Tie Rod Replacement

So I'm baffled by this one, and needing some help from you fine folks.

I'm replacing all inner and outer tie rods on my '99 Ram 1500, 5.2 engine, 4x4. I got the old tie rods pulled off, and was planning on reusing the adjusting sleeves and alignment bar, but I'm running into problems that keep me from installing the new Moog tie rods.

The OEM alignment bar won't actually fit over the new Moog drag link I have. The alignment bar still fits over the old drag link I'm replacing, but the Moog one is just one or two mm larger in diameter and keeps me from putting the alignment bar over it. Any workarounds for this? I'm sure I need the alignment bar, but I can't find anything about this problem online, or even where to buy a new one if I need it.

Second, I'm planning on taking it to a tire place for alignment when I'm done. Will there be any problems if I can't get the wheels aligned exactly? Things like them having to remove the tie rods again or problems with the adjusting sleeves?

Lastly, there shouldn't be problems reusing the old adjusting sleeves right? I couldn't get one of the sleeves off the old tie rod (stripped a nut on the sleeve and used half a can of PBlaster on the damn thing too,) and will have to order a new Moog adjusting sleeve, but I want to make sure there's no complications with that either.

Any help and replies are really appreciated.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:45 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Could you post a pic of the problem area?

Mixing and matching parts (sleeves/rod ends) shouldn't be a problem. So long as they are in good shape.

If you get everything on, and *close* to ok, shouldn't be a problem.

Good Luck.

Welcome to DF!

Old 10-01-2015, 11:39 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Dodge knew with the Y-style that the "alignment" bar on that tie rod at the pitman arm should never be adjusted as it throws everything else out. Most shops didn't. I had perfect (and I mean perfect) steering until I had the stock track bar replaced and asked for an alignment since the steering wheel was crooked. (The bar was obviously not built the same.) So the shop just tore off the alignment bar and turned the TE until the wheel was straight. HELLO WANDER. Now I've been chasing the infamous Dodge steering for about 9 years.

But here's the kicker, since you're replacing everything, you won't need it. Are you using stock Y style or did you upgrade to the 98-99 HD T style? With the latter, it would seem much easier to align as both wheels are connected to the same Tie rods.

Either way, I would avoid a shop. I have tried stupid alignment shops and they just screwed it way up with their million dollar machines. I did a tape measure alignment and at least fixed the pull and bad tire wear (still have loose/wander issues). Here's a good link to check out the difference: http://www.mark74.com/ram_modificati...ver%20steering

Good luck.

Old 10-01-2015, 12:24 PM
IronGollum

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Could you post a pic of the problem area?

Mixing and matching parts (sleeves/rod ends) shouldn't be a problem. So long as they are in good shape.

If you get everything on, and *close* to ok, shouldn't be a problem.

Good Luck.

Welcome to DF!
Hello, and thank you! DF has the best DIY write ups and posts, really liking that.

I can't get an actual picture of the problem until later today, accidentally took the alignment bar with me in my work truck.

I'm not sure if this will suffice until then, but I added arrows to a diagram pointing to my problem. The red arrows point to the factory alignment bar from the old tie rod system, and the blue arrow is the new Moog tie rod I can't fit the factory alignment bar on.

I've loosened the alignment bar's bolt and nut fitting, but the ring that slides on around the new Moog tie rod just isn't wide enough, though it fits over the tie rod threads. It fits the old tie rod just fine, but the Moog tie rod seems to be slightly larger in diameter and won't fit it. I've considered hammering it on, but that seems like a not-so-bright idea.

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Dodge knew with the Y-style that the "alignment" bar on that tie rod at the pitman arm should never be adjusted as it throws everything else out. Most shops didn't. I had perfect (and I mean perfect) steering until I had the stock track bar replaced and asked for an alignment since the steering wheel was crooked. (The bar was obviously not built the same.) So the shop just tore off the alignment bar and turned the TE until the wheel was straight. HELLO WANDER. Now I've been chasing the infamous Dodge steering for about 9 years.

But here's the kicker, since you're replacing everything, you won't need it. Are you using stock Y style or did you upgrade to the 98-99 HD T style? With the latter, it would seem much easier to align as both wheels are connected to the same Tie rods.

Either way, I would avoid a shop. I have tried stupid alignment shops and they just screwed it way up with their million dollar machines. I did a tape measure alignment and at least fixed the pull and bad tire wear (still have loose/wander issues). Here's a good link to check out the difference: http://www.mark74.com/ram_modificati...ver%20steering

Good luck.
Hah, I know what you're talking about with the wander, and that's why I'd like to keep the factory alignment bar. Is it not actually required for the steering though, beyond the wander issue?

That writeup is tremendous by the way, thank you for linking. Didn't even occur to me to use the HD system. If I'd known that I could have, I'd probably have gone with the HD "T" system instead of the "Y' one I'm replacing, but I've already got all the parts here and don't know if I can sink more money into the HD parts required to go to the T system.

Last edited by IronGollum; 10-01-2015 at 12:26 PM.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Ah, I see what you are talking about now....

In all reality, that part isn't even really required. It's basically just an 'insurance' part. None of the other adjusting sleeves have one... The pinch bolts are more than adequate to the task to keep things from moving, once properly adjusted. If you really want to put it on though, just need to wedge it open further, so that it can slide onto the bar relatively easily. Might need a slightly longer pinch bolt though.

Old 10-01-2015, 11:27 PM
IronGollum

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Ah, I see what you are talking about now....

In all reality, that part isn't even really required. It's basically just an 'insurance' part. None of the other adjusting sleeves have one... The pinch bolts are more than adequate to the task to keep things from moving, once properly adjusted. If you really want to put it on though, just need to wedge it open further, so that it can slide onto the bar relatively easily. Might need a slightly longer pinch bolt though.
I wondered why the tie rod going to the drivers side steering knuckle did not have one, that clarifies it. Thank you very much for the explanation. I'll try again to fit the alignment bar over the tie rod. If I can't I suppose I'll leave it off and deal with whatever wander or loose steering comes of it. After this I still have to deal with a leaky rear main seal and rear differential leak, but it's been a good truck so far.

Thank you again for the help!

Quick Reply: Alignment Bar and Tie Rod Replacement