2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Intake Manifold Won't Budge

Old 10-04-2015, 12:51 AM
Monroe00ES
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake Manifold Won't Budge

So while attempting to remove my IM, the front two bolts (one on each side) snapped right off.

From what I can tell from the other bolts I removed, there are no threads on the IM itself, and it only threads into the block...Is that true?

I attempted to pull up on the IM, and it doesn't even budge a millimeter.
I know on some vehicles (Camaro comes to mind) they have a pry point to break the intake manifold loose. Does the 5.9L have a pry point like that?

I was hoping to pull the IM straight up, and then remove the broken bolts with vice grips, instead of having to drill them down - I don't want to accidently mess something up.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 10-04-2015, 01:19 AM
Monroe00ES

Update - I've been able to get the back portion to lift up slightly, but it appears to hit the head covers.
Do these need to be removed to remove the IM?

Front portion, where the two bolts broke off, still wont budge...

Last edited by Monroe00ES; 10-04-2015 at 01:46 AM. Reason: more info
Old 10-04-2015, 09:11 AM
Khris1994
Veteran

Did you remove the alternator bracket?
It clears the valve cover. I recently removed mine

Old 10-04-2015, 09:20 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

Yep, alternator, and a/c compressor need to be out of the way, as does the bracket. Then you can pry a bit to get the manifold to break loose.

Old 10-04-2015, 01:55 PM
Monroe00ES

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yep, alternator, and a/c compressor need to be out of the way, as does the bracket. Then you can pry a bit to get the manifold to break loose.
Everything is removed including the timing cover still.

Im guessing the IM gasket was headed towards failure. The portion of the bolts that did not thread into the block were pretty heavily covered in black gunk on some of the bolts, but not all.

The front left side is now moving up about enough to fit a credit card under it, but the right side isn't budging. The bolt on the right side broke off closer to the head of the bolt than the other side.

Im about to go pick up a set of easy outs to give them a try. I'll let you know if it works...

Old 10-04-2015, 02:16 PM
Khris1994
Veteran

Just do a sweep and check all the bolt holes as it should freely come off if the bolt isn't holding it. I pulled a junkyard one and it came off freely with 3 broken bolts in the block

Old 10-04-2015, 04:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

The bolt holes crud up because of different metals being in contact. Acts a lot like cement..... Just put a pry bar under it where you can get some leverage. Shouldn't take too much pressure to get it to break loose.

Old 10-04-2015, 10:13 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You probably just need a big flat head screw driver. Not much can't be fixed by a BFH and a good solid flat head.

If the bolts broke off toward the front, you'll need to pry as close to them as possible and also straight up. Otherwise you will just fighting against the bolt bending from the twisting.

Don't be afraid to smack it with a rubber hammer or something similler to knock it loose from all the crud.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Intake Manifold Won't Budge