2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

9004 LED Headlight Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 11:55 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Interesting video about halogen vs LED.

http://thegarage.jalopnik.com/should....google.com%2F

Old 11-08-2015, 07:07 AM
ramsportrocks
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

completely different LED bulb design to the units I and others here have purchased
would be nice if he actually tested that particular set.. and AGAIN he did not check
adjustment.. all LEDS recommend realigning after install due to design difference

will check alignment on mine later this week

Last edited by ramsportrocks; 11-08-2015 at 07:14 AM.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:53 PM
lwiuff
Amateur

I can reccomend The LED's. I am impressed. The lights I ordered off of Amazon came 31 days earlier than promised, and when I opened the package I was impressed by the build quality. I failed to read all the way through the included brochure, which would have shortened the total install time to 15 minutes. If you buy these, be advised that the radiator and bulb unscrews from the black plastic collar, which you need to install into the lamp housing first. The rubber o-ring was a bit thicker than the halogens, so I had to use a flat-bladed screw driver to poke it into the housing so that I could put the retaining collar back on. I installed them on my 1998 Dodge Ram Sport with aftermarket OE fit headlamps (Headlights Depot), so the fit might be a little better on OEM headlamps.

These lights are seriously bright (3,300lm), with just the barest hint of blue - nearly pure white - but with aimed headlights, they don’t shine into the passenger compartment of even sub-compact cars. I can’t wait until the Xenon bulbs burn out on the other car so I can order another set. I have no idea how longer these will last, but the manufacturer says 30,000 hours. Even if it’s less, I’d buy these again!

http://smile.amazon.com/Starnill-LED...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Attached Thumbnails 9004 LED Headlight Bulbs-9004-led.jpg  
Old 11-13-2015, 10:31 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Looks like a better design than the ones with the fan on them but what about the high beams? Doesn't look like they focus any of the light different than low beam.

Old 11-14-2015, 01:08 PM
lwiuff
Amateur

Originally Posted by Moparite
Looks like a better design than the ones with the fan on them but what about the high beams? Doesn't look like they focus any of the light different than low beam.
Actually, there is a fan inside the heat sink. As far as the high beams go, the focus can't change because the 9004 bulbs are hi/low. I only notice more light directly in front of the truck. I have been really pleased with the amount of light directed towards the edges of the road.

I wish I could say more about the throw of the high beams, but I haven't gotten out of the urban/suburban area. I haven't seen what they will do on an open, unlit road.

Old 11-20-2015, 03:21 PM
ramsportrocks
Veteran

sorry I didn't get to post before this, aligned my headlights beginning of this week.. drivers side was 1" too low and passengers side about 1/2" with the LEDs installed.. so far I love the LEDs and if they last longer than the silverstar ultras it will be a BIG PLUS....

forgot to add I used 3m double sided tape to mount the ballast boxes better than drilling holes and a little heat and they will pop right off.. was thinking some of that magnetic sheeting could do the trick though
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Master-Magne...kAAOSwv0tVSMNZ

Old 11-20-2015, 03:32 PM
dapepper9
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice job! I don't know that I would trust magnets around the boxes just being as it's electrical equipment. Prob be fine, but who knows? I've been driving with mine for nearly 8 months and absolutely love em. I'll try to remember to give yall an update tomorrow night after this snow storm calms down. I would do tonight, but...it's blowing pretty good lol.

Old 11-20-2015, 04:20 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion

Now did anybody try leds for the fog lights? Nothing could compare to the stock bulb brightness from what i seen on superbrightleds.com.

Old 11-21-2015, 06:20 AM
ramsportrocks
Veteran

Originally Posted by Moparite
Now did anybody try leds for the fog lights? Nothing could compare to the stock bulb brightness from what i seen on superbrightleds.com.

I haven't played with them yet, my lenses are melted from the inside I guess from PO running a higher wattage bulb in them and until I buy replacements I wont waste the money on LEDs

Old 11-21-2015, 09:54 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion

my lenses are melted from the inside I guess from PO running a higher wattage bulb in them
No mine has the same problem with stock bulbs. I replaced one but didn't get to do the other one yet. The light pattern is a lot different with good lenses.

Quick Reply: 9004 LED Headlight Bulbs