2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

9004 LED Headlight Bulbs

Old 11-21-2015, 10:07 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparite
Now did anybody try leds for the fog lights? Nothing could compare to the stock bulb brightness from what i seen on superbrightleds.com.
Got these a long time ago, haven't gotten around to installing them though, so not sure of the output.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0076PKTCQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0076PKTCQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

Old 11-22-2015, 07:32 AM
ramsportrocks
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No mine has the same problem with stock bulbs. I replaced one but didn't get to do the other one yet. The light pattern is a lot different with good lenses.

wow so the stock rated melted them also?? strange, the ram sport I had years ago the lenses were perfect after 70k miles but my brother always ran high wattage in his and they melted like these are

definitely going to buy a replacement set, probably come spring

Old 11-22-2015, 09:31 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

the lenses were perfect after 70k miles but my brother always ran high wattage in his and they melted
Not sure when mine started but i have 180K on the originals. My fog light switch broke so they are always on with the driving lights if that makes any difference.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:14 AM
ramsportrocks
Veteran

well I pulled the trigger on new replacement light assemblies yesterday and ordered some LEDs to test in them.. if weather holds out in northeast I should have them installed in a few weeks

they have a heat sink built on and wide angle projector lense in the tip.. so we will see how well they work
http://www.ebay.com/itm/272014769602?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

if not some silverstars will be bought for replacment

Old 11-24-2015, 03:22 PM
dapepper9
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Forgot to give yall an update on the LEDs in snow. Work great. And the white light on white snow seems easier on the eyes to me. In fact my boss was asking me all about them this morning, he seems to like em too and I was behind him coming in.

Old 11-24-2015, 03:38 PM
Hemibuck
Veteran

Originally Posted by lwiuff
I can reccomend The LED's. I am impressed. The lights I ordered off of Amazon came 31 days earlier than promised, and when I opened the package I was impressed by the build quality. I failed to read all the way through the included brochure, which would have shortened the total install time to 15 minutes. If you buy these, be advised that the radiator and bulb unscrews from the black plastic collar, which you need to install into the lamp housing first. The rubber o-ring was a bit thicker than the halogens, so I had to use a flat-bladed screw driver to poke it into the housing so that I could put the retaining collar back on. I installed them on my 1998 Dodge Ram Sport with aftermarket OE fit headlamps (Headlights Depot), so the fit might be a little better on OEM headlamps.

These lights are seriously bright (3,300lm), with just the barest hint of blue - nearly pure white - but with aimed headlights, they don’t shine into the passenger compartment of even sub-compact cars. I can’t wait until the Xenon bulbs burn out on the other car so I can order another set. I have no idea how longer these will last, but the manufacturer says 30,000 hours. Even if it’s less, I’d buy these again!

http://smile.amazon.com/Starnill-LED...ct_top?ie=UTF8
Will this set work for a 96 Ram 1500? I couldn't remember is the bulb is a 9004 or not? Thanks!

Old 11-24-2015, 04:17 PM
dapepper9
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Hemibuck
Will this set work for a 96 Ram 1500? I couldn't remember is the bulb is a 9004 or not? Thanks!
Yessir. I have the superbrightleds.com kit myself (looks exactly the same as the amazon kit, probably is actually). I would recommend these to anybody over halogens, halos, projectors, hids, etc. These are the best headlights I have found for these trucks. They don't SEEM to reach out as far as a good set of halogens BUT I will say that after I mentioned that last time, I smacked a deer. It was lit up like a xmas tree well beyond the perceived reach of these lights. However I was on the interstate doing 70 in the rain (not wise) and slowed down to 50 before the SOB basically charged me

Old 11-28-2015, 06:43 AM
ramsportrocks
Veteran

got the LEDs in for the driving lights.. they throw a pretty nice beam all be it some what muted due to the glazed over/melted lens covers.. should be much better once I get the new assemblies in and swapped out..

will post updated photos when ever I can get that done

Old 01-13-2016, 09:37 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

will post updated photos when ever I can get that done
Any updates?

Old 01-14-2016, 09:27 AM
ramsportrocks
Veteran

Any updates?

yes I did get them installed just before chirstmas
the design is different from original

original road lights went in on an angle pointing up and relied more on the reflector

the aftermarket lights go straight in from the back..
Name:  ram%20ss-t%20road%20lights_zpsxudolsgu.jpg
Views: 1714
Size:  276.4 KB

I have not adjusted the road lights as of yet but the LEDs do light up the sides of the road better same as the LED headlights do on highbeam..
Name:  ram%20ss-t%20road%20lights%20002_zpsaortqvlh.jpg
Views: 1722
Size:  154.1 KB

once adjusted correctly I will see if they are keepers OR I will switchback to a stock type or silverstar road light bulb

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 9004 LED Headlight Bulbs