2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

97 Ram Fuel Leak Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 08:46 PM
GutMonkey
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Ram Fuel Leak Advice Please

Howdy! New user looking for advice. All help appreciated.

Recently bought 97 Ram 1500 4x4 5.9L Gas. Smelled fuel after I drove it today. Looked underneath and gas was coming from the top of the fuel tank. Noticed some particle board above the tank where the bed should be. Removed the bed liner and found a hole had been cut in the bed to access the top of the fuel tank. I looked at some pictures on line and think there is an auxiliary fuel supply fitting that is not capped. I started the engine and did not see fuel leaking from there. I'm guessing it could be sloshing out while driving. I have attached a photo of the area and am hoping for advice. Should I just cap the white stem at the top left. Or should I drive it around and try to verify where the leak is coming from. Any and all advice is appreciated!
97 Ram Fuel Leak Advice Please-2_smaller.jpg

Old 10-08-2015, 10:39 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

I believe there should be a line going to that fitting, to the charcoal cannister. (vapor recovery system.) Might wanna check that out.

Welcome to DF!

Old 10-08-2015, 12:21 PM
GutMonkey

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I believe there should be a line going to that fitting, to the charcoal cannister. (vapor recovery system.) Might wanna check that out.

Welcome to DF!
Thanks! The vacuum diagram shows the rollover valve should go to the canister. rollover valve should be the black circle at top middle of pic. The white inlet to the left of that is what I'm thinking should be capped.

The rollover valve is broke off where the hose would connect so I'll be fixing that as well.

Old 10-08-2015, 12:32 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

The white fitting is for hooking up a external pump to suck out the gas from the tank. It should be capped!

Old 10-08-2015, 12:53 PM
GutMonkey

Originally Posted by Moparite
The white fitting is for hooking up a external pump to suck out the gas from the tank. It should be capped!
Thanks!

Quick Reply: 97 Ram Fuel Leak Advice Please