2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

keyless entry problems??

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 10:09 PM
Erik P
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default keyless entry problems??

2001 ram 1500 sport, 5.9 w/ 4sp auto 4dr ext cab.

So I've done some research, and due to the common 4th gen key fob problem, thats all thats come up...

Anyways, I have been having a problem ever since i bought my truck with the keyless entry, it seems to be not working well. it doesn't work unless i hold the fob right beside the door, up near the lock, even then it usually takes a few presses of the button. even when it works it seems like barely, the lock comes up enough to unlock it, but i can still pull the lock up another 1/2 inch.
I did pull it apart, and then it seemed to work for about a week. it stopped working and i replaced batteries and that didn't fix it, so not sure whats going on here...
Is there a receiver for the fob that actuates the power locks that can go back? the door switch works as it should. Anyone have any ideas? its pretty annoying...

On the key fob issue, my truck has a sticker on the rad support that says something like "warning, this truck is equipped with a remote start feature, disable before working on" blah blah blah, does this actually mean my truck has the remote engine start feature? my key fobs are aftermarket and the engine start doesn't work, but neither does my door unlock work very well. does anyone know about that one?

Thanks in advance guys!

Old 10-13-2015, 11:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Stock, or aftermarket system?

Old 10-14-2015, 12:17 AM
Erik P
Rookie

for what? the RKE is all factory, but the fobs appear to be replaced with aftermarket ones, they're "compustart" brand.

Old 10-14-2015, 10:59 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Wonder if they are just weak transmitters..... With new batteries, you should be able to unlock your doors from inside the house..... Might be worth seeing if you can find a factory FOB, and have it programmed. (which, with a working fob, I think you can program additional ones.)

Old 10-14-2015, 12:09 PM
Erik P
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Wonder if they are just weak transmitters..... With new batteries, you should be able to unlock your doors from inside the house..... Might be worth seeing if you can find a factory FOB, and have it programmed. (which, with a working fob, I think you can program additional ones.)
Ok, I'll see about getting hands on new fob, any idea about the remote button start? Did these trucks ever have this feature in 2001?

Old 10-14-2015, 02:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Not that I am aware of.....

Old 10-15-2015, 09:44 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Erik P
2001 ram 1500 sport, 5.9 w/ 4sp auto 4dr ext cab.

So I've done some research, and due to the common 4th gen key fob problem, thats all thats come up...

Anyways, I have been having a problem ever since i bought my truck with the keyless entry, it seems to be not working well. it doesn't work unless i hold the fob right beside the door, up near the lock, even then it usually takes a few presses of the button. even when it works it seems like barely, the lock comes up enough to unlock it, but i can still pull the lock up another 1/2 inch.
I did pull it apart, and then it seemed to work for about a week. it stopped working and i replaced batteries and that didn't fix it, so not sure whats going on here...
Is there a receiver for the fob that actuates the power locks that can go back? the door switch works as it should. Anyone have any ideas? its pretty annoying...

On the key fob issue, my truck has a sticker on the rad support that says something like "warning, this truck is equipped with a remote start feature, disable before working on" blah blah blah, does this actually mean my truck has the remote engine start feature? my key fobs are aftermarket and the engine start doesn't work, but neither does my door unlock work very well. does anyone know about that one?

Thanks in advance guys!
You have an aftermarket installed alarm based on what I underlined in your post. Any other stickers on the truck? Previous owner might have put them on to indicate such and then you'd get the brand.

It sounds like the door lock mechanism is degrading. The alarm system just sends a signal to the component to actuate.

Old 10-15-2015, 02:57 PM
Erik P
Rookie

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
You have an aftermarket installed alarm based on what I underlined in your post. Any other stickers on the truck? Previous owner might have put them on to indicate such and then you'd get the brand.

It sounds like the door lock mechanism is degrading. The alarm system just sends a signal to the component to actuate.
As far as I know, the truck has no alarm system? I might be wrong on that. It's the sport package and has power everything. The doors unlock fine with the button, but not by the fob, is it still possible a work out lock mechanism? I wired in my lightbar the other day and I did notice a few extra boxes with connectors plug into it near the firewall, maybe it does have an aftermarket alarm? Or is that normal?

Old 10-15-2015, 06:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I don't think they ever came stock with remote start, so, chances are good your remote is aftermarket.

Is it just a range issue for the fob? Or does it not matter how close you are, the lock action is weak?

Old 10-15-2015, 09:20 PM
Erik P
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I don't think they ever came stock with remote start, so, chances are good your remote is aftermarket.

Is it just a range issue for the fob? Or does it not matter how close you are, the lock action is weak?
It's not the key fob that makes me wonder if it has remote start, there's a sticker on the rad support warning about an auto-start feauture.

And range does effect it I guess. The only time I can get the doors to unlock with the fob is if I'm within a few inches of the door, and I usually have to click the botton a few times

Quick Reply: keyless entry problems??