2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

high idle low idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 08:45 AM
bunker
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default high idle low idle

Hey folks having another problem with the big and dumb. (99 ram) with a 360 motor.
here is what I have replaced so far.
MAP, Throttle body, IAC motor everything bolted to the TB is new and both 02 sen.

and still get the problem when it sits awhile. (no set time) it will idle up maybe 2 to 300 prm or go down to 2 to 3 hundred rpm and even die a few times.

It runs great and gets pretty good mpg never tried to die while moving.

An ideas will be welcomed.

Last edited by bunker; 10-29-2015 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:19 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Any other symptoms? Rough idle? Charging system ok? What brand parts did you put in?

Old 10-29-2015, 01:48 PM
bunker
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Any other symptoms? Rough idle? Charging system ok? What brand parts did you put in?

hello hy

I am having a issue with battery drain that I cant trace yet. and disconnect the battery daily because of this. but didn't think that would have anything to do with the idle problem but again im not a mechanic either. But the alternator is new and charging. I have duel batts.

a side note that may help. say I drive the truck 30 miles and do not disconnect the batt and turn the truck off then a few mins later restart it the engine light will come on (most of the time not all) and the weird idle will start then also if I sit and idle for awhile.. and I cant think of the code it throws but ill test it later and post it here.

but as far as engine running no. it runs real smooth and quite until the problem starts I`m normally early for work and I`ll sit there idling for as long as 30 mins then the surging may start or may not start but doesn't throw any codes while idling if I do not shut the truck off. If it starts the idle thing I just give it some gas and it runs fine for awhile, if I keep it say 2000 rpm it wont do it.

I have replaced all those parts listed above and it still does this.

my brother in-law said to have my fuel pressure and system checked also, may be a bad injector?

is there any fuel sensor stuff on the motor near the fuel rail area?

I just thought of something, when it starts the weird idle thing it starts smelling real rich, I mean burn your eyes rich.

Last edited by bunker; 10-29-2015 at 02:09 PM.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

See what code it is coming up with, that may be enlightening...

By disconnecting the battery when you park, you reset the PCM each time you do so. The PCM then has to relearn how to run the engine. That may be a part of your problem.... or, it may be something entirely different. (we havin' fun yet? )

Need to sort out your battery drain first I think, and see if the other problems don't then go away. These trucks behave rather strangely if the electrical system isn't up to snuff.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:04 PM
bunker
Professional

I think ill try to leave it connected this weekend but put my solar charger on it to keep the battery s up so I can get the code to come up.

ill let you know

Old 11-02-2015, 09:18 PM
bunker
Professional

Originally Posted by bunker
I think ill try to leave it connected this weekend but put my solar charger on it to keep the battery s up so I can get the code to come up.

ill let you know
Welll i think i fixedthe idle problems i replaced the pcv val e on the al e cover and the problem went away,BUT im not getting y hopes up yet i didnt have a chan e to take it onn a test dribe either so we will see tomorrow when i go to work hey you, i got that code and forgot where i wrote it down! Ill get that tomorrow to dam i hate geting old

Old 11-15-2015, 10:43 PM
bunker
Professional

I had time to work on the booger, and Im still having the idling problem but.
in another forum here I listed my trans problems. and im begeinign to think its all related. here's the problems
1 Hi/low idle

2 codes P0753 (2nd gear trans relay) and p1765 show up after resetting the comp, so I jump out the 0753 code (really) and have no problems and drive it daily, everything is new in tranny. not sure but I think both of these codes come from the same area.

3 battery drain comes from the tranny really, when I jump the tranny relay the drain starts, when I put the relay back in the parasitic drain stops.

I just have a sneaky suspicion its my PCM. aarrgggg!

Last edited by bunker; 11-15-2015 at 11:02 PM.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:46 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Is the relay control shorted to ground?

Only one trans relay. It supplies 12 volts for the O/D, and TCC solenoids. Governor pressure stuff gets everything direction from the PCM. (I think.)

Old 11-16-2015, 08:51 AM
bunker
Professional

how would I check for a short? I think I did that awhile back but forgot.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:19 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Pull the relay, stick one probe from your meter in the ground side of the relay control circuit, and the other probe to a good ground. See if there is continuity. (or zero resistance, if your meter doesn't do continuity testing.)

Quick Reply: high idle low idle