2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

LCOG (low center of gravity) build trail rig

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 11:25 PM
shawn796
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LCOG (low center of gravity) build trail rig

Is there anyone else running low trail rigs? If so I was wondering the things you cut/moved/modified to make it happen. I've done a bit of cutting but trying to keep it to a minimum with little to no lift...

Last edited by shawn796; 11-16-2015 at 11:28 PM.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:49 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

That's something I always though was an interesting idea as well.

Fender flares, cutout style. Open up the fenders for clearance for larger tires. After all, tires is what determines your minimum ground clearance. Suspension lift gives you better approach/departure/breakover angles, so, you wanna keep that in mind too.

Inner fender wells may need to be massaged too.

One of the biggest problems is larger tires contacting the lower control arms on tight turns..... so, you can either reduce your turn radius...... or, replace the lower control arms with some designed to give you more room for the tires to turn in. (and that applies whether you lift the suspension or not.)

Shave the front bumper where it comes back into the wheel opening?

Basically, gonna have to put on the tires you are considering, and then see where things are gonna hit, and address them.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:07 PM
shawn796
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
That's something I always though was an interesting idea as well.

Fender flares, cutout style. Open up the fenders for clearance for larger tires. After all, tires is what determines your minimum ground clearance. Suspension lift gives you better approach/departure/breakover angles, so, you wanna keep that in mind too.

Inner fender wells may need to be massaged too.

One of the biggest problems is larger tires contacting the lower control arms on tight turns..... so, you can either reduce your turn radius...... or, replace the lower control arms with some designed to give you more room for the tires to turn in. (and that applies whether you lift the suspension or not.)

Shave the front bumper where it comes back into the wheel opening?

Basically, gonna have to put on the tires you are considering, and then see where things are gonna hit, and address them.
We'll I plan on staying with the 37 due to the fact that there is nothing around where I live (near Raleigh NC) that can challenge anything bigger. Problem is I need more belly clearance but do want to lift lol but I have no choice. Thinking of buying/building a long arm set up with 4" coils and do a shackle flip in the rear which will life me about 2". But I will not go any higher than that, any issues I have from there is getting cut!!

Old 11-19-2015, 08:14 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts

If you want to read about someone that wheels his truck just about every weekend you need to read this thread. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-fullsize.html
White Knuckle has done a ton of work to his truck and wheels it on some of the best trails on the west coast. Read his thread and then post up any questions you have for him in his thread.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:07 PM
snowboundrmk
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely need longer control arms to get the axle away from the cab. Otherwise just cut where there's interference.

Quick Reply: LCOG (low center of gravity) build trail rig