2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New timing chain slack, different chain?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 08:37 PM
snowboundrmk
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My cloyes had a surprising amount of slack when I put it on. I'm running a tensioner though so it tightened it up.

Old 11-24-2015, 07:55 AM
1997JollyGreenGiant
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparite
Are your cam bearings worn? This may not help you but recently i had to do some research on roller chain. There are a lot of different manufactures with different ways of making them and tolerances/materials. I seriously doubt that the manufactures of the gear sets make their own chain. I never really though about what is used on timing chains. Anybody have a name or logo on their chains? Possibly even a #. Like to know who uses what chain. Might be able to figure out who uses a better quality chain.
I have a Mopar chain, I don't have a number though. I've had a SA chain right next to it though, looked the same to me.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:07 PM
freddoll
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the chain and sprockets need to be changed as a set; that should make it tighter.

Quick Reply: New timing chain slack, different chain?