2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Replacing front u-joint, question on hub "seal/shield"

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 11:57 AM
khnitz
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacing front u-joint, question on hub "seal/shield"

I'm in the process of replacing the rotors/pads on the front of my '96 4x4, and there was also a click from the driver's front wheel which I tracked to a bad u-joint.

I finally got the hub off last night and removed the axle to get the u-joint out. The u-joint clips were really rusted in place, but an air chisel and lots of PB Blaster helped get those clips off and let me remove the u-joint. Reassembly will start this weekend.

On the outer axle (that goes through the hub), there is a metal lip/shield/seal where the axle meets the hub. This is the original axle stub, so that lip/shield/seal is corroded and slightly deteriorated. It looks like it slips over the end of the axle stub, but I can't find where it is available as a separate piece for replacement. I think if you really want to replace that, you have to replace the axle stub - anyone have BTDT experience with that lip/shield/seal? I'm thinking that I should be OK to reuse the axle stub as-is, but just wanted to see if someone else has experience. A picture would help here, I know, so I'll try and add one to this post tonight.

Also, are there thoughts on what-all surfaces should get anti-sieze (regular or copper-based) when I reassemble everything? I'm thinking the hub to steering knuckle surfaces and the stub-axle to bearing/hub surfaces, as well as where the u-joint fits in the flanges.

Lastly, anyone have a good source for new brake rotor shields?

Thanks!

Old 01-10-2016, 10:32 AM
atc250r
Veteran

Speaking of front U-joints, I need to replace my drivers side wheel joint again (97 1500 4x4) Having trouble finding the DIY link for that. Can anyone provide?

Old 01-10-2016, 10:40 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

If you don't already have one, grab the appropriate service manual for your truck from here.

Old 01-10-2016, 11:20 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Only use spicer u joints unless you like doing the job multiple times. The one on the right is proof.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:13 PM
atc250r
Veteran

So the "pavement sucks" tech articles are no longer available online?

Old 01-13-2016, 07:32 PM
oxymoron29
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quick Reply: Replacing front u-joint, question on hub "seal/shield"