2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rebuilding transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 11:18 PM
evilemokid94
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
90% of the time the only things these cases need is the shift fork pads. They are little rubber things that where out. The other issue is tailshaft snap ring.

I rebuilt mine when I did my nv4500 swap. Some new seals and the fork pads and a chain and it's good it as new.
I'm hoping I don't have to dump $800 in the transfer case...I just bought this truck in like September and iv already been in the shop 3 times. Plugs wires and a coil, next it busted the passenger side wheel studs so I had new studs drawn through, it broke the exhaust in the fall and I haven't had a time to have that repaired, and last time the radiator blew and driver side tank so I had to put a radiator in it....3 weeks after that I blow the transmissions reverse and the battery craps out on me. This truck hates me. It's worst because on Christmas my wife got my windows tinted, a set of nerf bars, and a roll up tonneau cover then it starts to have these issues.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:30 PM
evilemokid94
Professional

Originally Posted by evilemokid94
I lost reverse in my 99 ram about 2 weeks ago, took it to the shop and they said my reverse band is smoked and quoted me $1500 for the rebuild with a new converter. My question is should I go ahead and have them check the transfer case while the trans is out? The truck has 212k on it and "supposedly" has had the transmission gone through before. The shop said I'm looking at about $200 labor to go ahead and open it up and then I have to pay whatever extra for the parts it needs, I don't have any issues with the transfer case besides when I go to 4hi, and go from a stop to like 20 mph it will pop if I'm accelerating. If I'm in 4 low it doesn't pop but it won't shift from 1st gear either. Suggestions?
should i go ahead and have them do a rear main seal while the trans is out? It doesn't leak but the truck has 212k on it. I don't think they would charge much at all to replace it since the trans is already dropped. Truck has a 5.9 if it matters

Old 01-25-2016, 12:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

It's a two-piece rear main, so, they would need to drop the oil pan to change it. If it isn't leaking, I would just leave it be.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:47 PM
evilemokid94
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
It's a two-piece rear main, so, they would need to drop the oil pan to change it. If it isn't leaking, I would just leave it be.
gotcha! Thank you. I dropped it off at the shop today, trans rebuild, torque converter, transfercase rebuild and u joints in the driveshaft. Iv got a trans cooler but I'm going to install it myself when it's home again.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Make sure they put a GOOD QUALITY torque converter in there.... if they just go with the stock replacement, then you really aren't getting anything..... The idea is, on projects of this nature, to IMPROVE on the stock pieces. Beefing up the trans is a REALLY good idea on these trucks, as they were rather weak from the factory...

Old 01-25-2016, 03:33 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

That tcase kit didn't include a chain. I couldn't find one either. Our Carquest transmission is working good so far, but I do want to add the Sure Cure yet.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:29 PM
evilemokid94
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Make sure they put a GOOD QUALITY torque converter in there.... if they just go with the stock replacement, then you really aren't getting anything..... The idea is, on projects of this nature, to IMPROVE on the stock pieces. Beefing up the trans is a REALLY good idea on these trucks, as they were rather weak from the factory...
he said they would do some improvements to the actual transmission itself to make it what it should have been from the factory and to fix some of their issues, all he said about the torque converter is that its a heavy duty model. Sadly If you drop me near a transmission or exhaust and Im almost lost. I hate both. I can do moat anything else except those two. I guess I'll find out when I pick her up. I'm going to ask for a sheet on what they did.

Old 01-25-2016, 11:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Post it up when you get it.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:01 PM
evilemokid94
Professional

Got the truck back today. It shifts good and feels real nice, seems to take a second for it to slide into reverse from park but I have reverse again the 4x4 feels amazing, it hasn't felt this good since iv owned this truck and it doesn't pop in 4 hi anymore. I'm having issues reading the invoice and I'm not seeing where they replaced the clutches and what not, also no seeing the bearig kit for the transfer case. I'll have to call and ask I suppose. Cost right at $2000 with a discount of almost $700

Old 01-29-2016, 07:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

How did you manage a discount?

Quick Reply: Rebuilding transfer case