2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

01 Ram Sport - 02 sensor/ECM problems - P0132 code - please help

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 03:23 PM
whitewing
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 01 Ram Sport - 02 sensor/ECM problems - P0132 code - please help

Hi,
I'm hoping someone can help me figure this out, and I apologize if this is already addressed somewhere on the forum, if it is I didn't find it. So I have an 01 Ram Sport - 5.9L 360 4WD - 4 Door extended cab, and I have been having trouble with my computer and oxygen sensor (front sensor before Cat - Bank 1 - Sensor 1) for quite a while now...like a vicious circle. This causes the truck to run horribly bad - even dying at times, and I have been averaging 11.5 miles per gallon.

In a little over a year, I have had to address the computer now 4 times. I replaced it twice, once with a rebuilt one, once with a used one, and recently I have now had that one rebuilt - twice (I finally discovered a great company that rebuilds them for $149 and has a 1 year warranty on their work).

I keep getting an 02 sensor code - P0132 which says something like high voltage to the sensor. The sensor was tested and showed that it was not getting any voltage. I have now replaced the sensor 3 times. Here is where I am at this moment.

I just had the truck in the garage, and the mechanic tested all the wiring from the sensor to the computer with an OHM meter, and he found no shorts or wiring issues at all, and he did not find any ground issues. He replaced my oxygen sensor again with an NTK sensor, and he told me that he thought it had to be the computer. So, I sent the computer back and had it repaired again and am waiting to get it back in a couple of days. I just talked to that company, and they said they replaced the "02 sensor chipsets" (I think that's why they called them) in the computer, and that they tested it and it was now working fine without any codes.

So...before the computer was sent off just recently to be repaired, the truck did run with the new sensor (the NTK sensor), and the computer as it was (with the faulty 02 sensor chipsets), for about 20 minutes once, and then for about 15 minutes again when I drove it home. At the time the mechanic replaced the sensor, he tested it and said that it was getting voltage and fluctuating.

I don't understand what has been happening. I feel like a bad oxygen sensor has been damaging the computer, and then I replace the 02 sensor and the computer damages the new 02 sensor, and then I replace the computer and the 02 sensor damages the computer, and back and forth and back and forth etc.

I'm wondering if I need to replace the 02 sensor yet again before I put the rebuilt computer back on. I have no reason to believe this NTK sensor is faulty...but this just keeps dragging on and on and on. I read somewhere that NTK actually makes the Mopar sensors, so theoretically (in my mind anyway), I would think that the NTK sensor should be basically the same as the Mopar sensor for this truck. I don't know what will happen when I put this computer back on. It may work fine and the problem be solved.

I'm just wondering if it might be a necessary safe step to just order a Mopar sensor and replace it at the same time I put the computer back on. I really hate to buy a new sensor yet again, but at the same time I cannot have this cycle continue. Something has to change with this.

I'm just terrified that I'm going to put the computer back on this truck, drive 5 miles down the road, and see that check engine light come on, and be right back to square one with all of this.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated, and if there is any other issues that anyone can think of that could possibly cause this cycle of problems, I would be grateful to hear your input.

Thanks,

Anthony

P.S. The last time the truck was in the garage over this issue, they tested the catalytic converter and rear sensor and said they were fine.

Old 01-27-2016, 03:29 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

How's your plenum? What does the part of the sensor that sticks into the exhaust stream look like? Do you have any oil consumption issues?

There really isn't much to the sensor, and the PCM just sends a voltage to it, and gets a signal back. (5 volts out, 0-1 volt back....) I do not think it is likely that a mis-voltage there could damage anything..... and certainly don't think the PCM could damage the sensor.... but, stranger things have happened, and I have been wrong before.....

Should you put in a new one with the rebuilt computer? Probably unnecessary, but, given past experiences you have had, it really may not be a bad idea.....

Let us know how this turns out.

Old 01-27-2016, 03:49 PM
whitewing
Amateur

Hi "HeyYou",
Thanks for the reply. I have not yet addressed my plenum gasket, but I am aware of that problem and know that I need to. A couple of years ago I put some stop leak in the oil and started using 20W-50 weight oil, and oil loss has not really been much of a problem since (maybe 1/2 quart per month). From what I understand the plenum issue can also affect gas mileage, but I think this problem has been a main issue affecting the gas mileage due to the way the truck runs so rough. With this problem it's been running as if the gas/air mixture is not correct.

I just talked to the mechanic that recently worked on the truck, and he said if I would remove the sensor and bring it to him, he will test it with an OHM meter and make sure it hasn't been shorted out or have a problem at this moment. So I'll do that tomorrow and see if all is well with it.

He also said he felt like NTK was a pretty good sensor, and if they do indeed make the Mopar parts, it would seem that it is basically the same sensor as the Mopar sensor for this truck (but I don't know for sure about that).

As for the part of the sensor that fits into the stream, I think it's the kind that has little grooves in it, but I wasn't there when he installed it.

Old 01-27-2016, 03:59 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Need to check out the plenum.... that can cause all sorts of problems.

The heavier oil isn't helping performance either. (though I doubt it has any relation to your troubles)

NTK or Denso for stock parts. Either one is good. NTK seems to be accepted as "best" for our trucks.

I was more interested in what kind of buildup there was on it.... burning oil trashes sensors relatively quickly, not to mention catalytic converters.

Old 01-27-2016, 04:14 PM
whitewing
Amateur

Thanks for the reply. I need to plan the plenum gasket repair out and save up for it...just seems like there are always many expenses hitting from every angle. It could have been burning oil that trashed the sensor to begin with, which caused this whole set of problems to start. I'll post an update on how everything goes. Glad to know NTK seems to be a dependable sensor (so long as it hasn't already been damaged).

Old 01-27-2016, 08:55 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The plenum IS an issue that should be dealt with as part of diagnosing this problem.

What company are you using to rebuild your PCM.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:08 PM
whitewing
Amateur

Hi dbbb1,
I am using a company out of Florida called Auto Computer Exchange. They are on ebay, and currently have 16,670 transactions with 100% positive feedback. They are fast with their turnaround time as well (1-2 days max before they ship it back).

While I'm not disagreeing with you on the plenum gasket being a potential part of this problem (I have no idea) - I'm just curious as to why you think it might be part of this specific problem. How do you think that could potentially be a factor with this specific issue?

Thanks,

P.S. I just looked at the plenum gasket kit again that is recommended on this forum, and it looks like it is only $126 + shipping. I'll talk to my mechanic and get an estimate on taking care of this issue. For some reason I was thinking this was a $400-$500 repair. I am not a mechanic by any means...so this is not something I would feel comfortable doing myself.

Last edited by whitewing; 01-27-2016 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:53 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It can cause a lot of issues. Burning oil= fouled plugs, fouled o2 sensors, plugged cat. Aldo, it just makes sense to remove a possible cause. Especially if you need it anyways.

Thanks for the info on the PCM.

I bought the Hughes plenum plate send had it installed by the dealer (I'm with you, just a little outside of my skill set). They installed it for about $400 IIRC.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:20 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

ACE has 100% positive feedback? Really? After all the horror stories I read on other forums about them??? Hhhhmmmm.......

Old 02-02-2016, 05:07 PM
whitewing
Amateur

Well...I am at a total loss. There is a part of me that would love to find a huge cliff, and push this truck right over it (except then I wouldn't have a truck anymore). So...I received my computer back. I have a new NTK oxygen sensor in the truck. I tested it with an ohm meter before I put the computer back in, and it tested fine with no short.

I bought a brand new Duramax Gold battery (900+CCA), and I put the battery in before I re-installed the computer. I installed the computer as per the instructions that came with the computer, which said explicitly that it was critical that the computer be installed with the battery hooked up. I have just had this truck in the shop where they tested my wiring - there were no shorts...there were no ground issues.

I started the truck, it started just fine and purred like a kitten. I let it run for 15 minutes, then got in it to go for a drive - and there it was...the check engine light on again. Now this just happened so I haven't had it tested yet, but I guarantee it is that oxygen sensor code again. I don't get it! What could possibly be causing this?

I have been now through 5 computers and 4 oxygen sensors since last year! I know I need to get my plenum gasket fixed...but I can't believe that caused an oxygen sensor to burn out in 15 minutes. Something is causing this problem, and I cannot for the life of me figure out what it is. I just don't understand, and I don't know what else to do. I guess I could take it to a Dodge Dealership and pay them $500/hour to see what they think. I have a truck with a $4500 value, that I have close to $14000 in...and growing.

Unbelievable.

Last edited by whitewing; 02-02-2016 at 05:10 PM.

Quick Reply: 01 Ram Sport - 02 sensor/ECM problems - P0132 code - please help