2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Quality Headlight Replacements??

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 01:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Originally Posted by 97ramrod1500
So I've got a question that somewhat pertains to this. . .

My teucknis a 99 sport. I retrofitted projectors into a set of new single bulb housings. I need to rewire my current headlights so the low beams stay on with the highs. Is there a guide somewhere for this or will the heavy duty wire harness from lmc truck take care of this?
You went to single bulb housings? If so, you don't want the highs and lows on at the same time, that will generate a lot of excess heat, and will DRAMATICALLY shorten bulb life.

In order to make your single bulb system on what was originally a dual bulb system, you are going to have to move some wires around. The LMC harness won't help with that. I think you would be better off picking up some wire, relays, and such, and making your own.

Have a look at the wiring diagrams in the service manual. (get one here, if you don't have it already.) That'll show ya which wires ya need to play with.

Old 02-25-2017, 03:13 PM
97ramrod1500
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
You went to single bulb housings? If so, you don't want the highs and lows on at the same time, that will generate a lot of excess heat, and will DRAMATICALLY shorten bulb life.

In order to make your single bulb system on what was originally a dual bulb system, you are going to have to move some wires around. The LMC harness won't help with that. I think you would be better off picking up some wire, relays, and such, and making your own.

Have a look at the wiring diagrams in the service manual. (get one here, if you don't have it already.) That'll show ya which wires ya need to play with.
It is now a single bulb headlight but I retrofitted projectors and am going to be using HIDs. So it'll be 1 bulb but when I turn on high beams it can't turn off or ill have no light lol. The high beam on projectors controls a cutoff shield and low beam needs to stay on all the time.

I somewhat looked at the brite box and am wondering if that would do what I need?

Old 02-25-2017, 03:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I do believe so.

Old 02-25-2017, 11:16 PM
brian102
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think proper hid's get power from relays activated by the factory wiring. it should sense power on low beam and activate the little flapper, then sense hi beam and open the flapper. but you shouldn't have to wire low/hi together. it should be plug and play on the ballast with your factory plugs. i'm going based on what i have read over the years, mostly morimoto stuff. but that seemed pretty standard with just about every kit out there.

by kit/standard i mean bulbs and ballast, what you stick the bulb in is a whole different ball game. what setup did you get?

Last edited by brian102; 02-25-2017 at 11:19 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:20 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by madmikesmech
here are the ones I found on eBay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHROME-HOUSI...ZV3mY2&vxp=mtr
let me know if these sound like a decent item PLEASE
Those may throw a blotchy pattern. The housings I'm running are the same style in a different color trim ("euro black"), but the filament guard (the reflective umbrella behind which the lamp resides) is of a different shape and might be responsible for the pattern irregularity. It looks to my untrained eye like it might be the filament guard causing it, but I don't know it with certainty.

That same basic style seems to be produced by the same factory for just about the entire aftermarket -- I paid $65 for mine, but have seen the same units being sold for as high as $289. I've yet to see a similar housing that was different in any way aside from the trim; black or chrome, rectangular or round marker lamp reflector, this or that shape filament guard.

I may be mistaken, but I believe that all of the single lamp housings throughout the second generation run were the same. Hopefully someone else will chime in to set me straight if I'm wrong about that.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:41 PM
madmikesmech
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
"High/lo beam mod"? If you're referring to the hack that keeps the low beams on with the high, that's a thing I consider to be dangerous stupidity.

The headlight relay kit I'm speaking of is one that puts relay contacts (and nice fat wires) between the lamp filaments and the battery, and the relay coils in the original headlamp circuit. The quick and easy way to do it is to just score the prewired kit from LMC Truck.

UnregistereduUnregistereduser, is this the correct kit for my 1997 Ram 1500 with stock headlights?

Old 03-01-2017, 05:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

UnregistereduUnregistereduser, is this the correct kit for my 1997 Ram 1500 with stock headlights?
Yep, you want version "A".

Old 03-01-2017, 07:54 PM
madmikesmech
Professional

Thanks HeyYou, that's the one I put in my cart at LMCtruck. That was great of UnregisteredUser to post that "Direct Connection" to the harness

Old 03-02-2017, 05:10 PM
madmikesmech
Professional

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
Those may throw a blotchy pattern. The housings I'm running are the same style in a different color trim ("euro black"), but the filament guard (the reflective umbrella behind which the lamp resides) is of a different shape and might be responsible for the pattern irregularity. It looks to my untrained eye like it might be the filament guard causing it, but I don't know it with certainty.

That same basic style seems to be produced by the same factory for just about the entire aftermarket -- I paid $65 for mine, but have seen the same units being sold for as high as $289. I've yet to see a similar housing that was different in any way aside from the trim; black or chrome, rectangular or round marker lamp reflector, this or that shape filament guard.

I may be mistaken, but I believe that all of the single lamp housings throughout the second generation run were the same. Hopefully someone else will chime in to set me straight if I'm wrong about that.
UnregisteredUser,
those ones i posted the link to are not the ones i decided on. I thought about what you said, instead I ordered these
http://www.ebay.com/itm/401079173267...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

After reading what you and HeyYou had to say about the wire harness replacement incorporating relays from LMC (by the way, thank you for posting the link to the harness at LMC!) I will be upgrading to that set up also.

Old 03-02-2017, 07:37 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

UnregisteredUser,
those ones i posted the link to are not the ones i decided on. I thought about what you said, instead I ordered these
http://www.ebay.com/itm/401079173267...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
I'm a-thinkin' I might be ordering a pair of those real soon, myself. Thanks for the pointer!

If you don't mind, please let us know your impression of them once you've been behind 'em for a bit.

After reading what you and HeyYou had to say about the wire harness replacement incorporating relays from LMC (by the way, thank you for posting the link to the harness at LMC!) I will be upgrading to that set up also.
You'll like the difference the relays make. The improvement is pretty dramatic no matter what you've got out front, but with fresh housings and new premium lamps it's downright grin inducing.

Quick Reply: Quality Headlight Replacements??