2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Scary steering, sometimes.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 12:39 AM
Ram Driver
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I got my truck, it had 198000 miles on it. All of the steering parts were original and way beyond worn out. When driving my truck, if I hit just a small bump in the road it would try and go left or right almost half a lane, because of the play in the steering.

I have sense had everything replaced, and the steering is 90% better than it was when I got it. I still have a little bit of wandering in the steering, but I`m hoping the rock solid ram steering fix will take care of the rest of the slight wandering problem I still have. I have a little over an 1/8th inch of play in the steering column shaft.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:11 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

It might help. Bumping caster angle a bit next time you get an alignment will make the truck more prone to want to go in a straight line as well.

Old 02-16-2016, 12:04 AM
Erik P
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

***UPDATE***

Got the new box in last night, bled it, and took if for a ride.

WOW!!! Steers unbelievably for a 2nd Gen... Super impressed with the RedHead steering gear. Wander is gone, the truck now returns to center again, steering is tight, and I no longer death grip the wheel constantly correcting the wander.
For anyone debating a RedHead gear, do it!!!! completely worth it in my opinion, and thats from a Canadian who had to pay $1100 to get the box here.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:28 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the update, man. Glad ya got it steering right!

Quick Reply: Scary steering, sometimes.