2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fuel pump, right?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 06:26 PM
Nate_rs
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump, right?

Today I got off work and was pretty low on gas so I shot across the street and filled her up. 25.2 gallons later she's all full.

Go to start it and it cranks and starts, runs for about 1 second then dies. Try to restart it and it's just cranking and cranking.

It's really windy and normally I can hear when the fuel pump primes when I turn the key but I wasn't hearing anything over the wind.

Went ahead and primed it 5 or 6 times by turning the key on or off, popped the hood and poked at the Schrader valve on the fuel rail. No fuel came out.
Shouldn't some have come out given the fuel rail was (or should have been) full of gas?

Went ahead and swapped the fuel pump relay with the horn relay, still won't fire.

At this point I'm like 80% sure my fuel pump went out. So I grab a can of starting fluid and spray some down the throttle body. Go to start it and it fires right up then dies after about a second.

So now I'm like 95% sure I've got a dead fuel pump

Does that sound right? Anything I'm overlooking?

Old 02-08-2016, 06:44 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like the fuel pump. There should always be an audible whine when the key is turned to allow the system to pressurize. Most people always turn the key straight to start, but when my son was learning to drive, I emphasized to him to listen for that whine and only turn the key when it ceased.

That being said, you can try banging the fuel tank or the top of the pump with a 2x4. Sometimes, that will elicit a bit of life to get you home, but either way, that guy "Murphy" struck -- full tank of gas and the fuel pump dies.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:03 PM
Nate_rs
Professional

Originally Posted by Gary-L
Sounds like the fuel pump. There should always be an audible whine when the key is turned to allow the system to pressurize. Most people always turn the key straight to start, but when my son was learning to drive, I emphasized to him to listen for that whine and only turn the key when it ceased.

That being said, you can try banging the fuel tank or the top of the pump with a 2x4. Sometimes, that will elicit a bit of life to get you home, but either way, that guy "Murphy" struck -- full tank of gas and the fuel pump dies.
Yeah I had to work that part in there, worst possible time for the fuel pump to go out.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:22 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think its easier to unbolt the bed to change the fuel pump

Old 02-09-2016, 12:30 AM
Erik P
Rookie

I dropped the tank and naturally my pump died with 3/4 of a tank of gas, and it sucked. Yank the bed off!!

Old 02-09-2016, 09:50 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Did you check the fuse? Jump out the relay? Unlikely but may want to make sure it's the pump before you replace it.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:16 PM
Nate_rs
Professional

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
I think its easier to unbolt the bed to change the fuel pump
Yeah that's what I'm doing. Still got gas all over myself though lol

Now I can't get the damn plastic lock ring screwed back on

Old 02-09-2016, 02:19 PM
Nate_rs
Professional

Originally Posted by Moparite
Did you check the fuse? Jump out the relay? Unlikely but may want to make sure it's the pump before you replace it.
No I just swapped the relay.

I just finished pulling the old pump out and it was factory. My truck has 196,000 miles so if it is a fuse or something I'm still glad I'm changing out the fuel pump.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

What brand pump did you get? Hopefully NOT an Air-Tex......

Old 02-09-2016, 06:51 PM
44dakota
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't forget to line up the arrows when putting the new pump in..

Quick Reply: Fuel pump, right?