2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Would I be able to pass California Smog with long tube headers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 01:44 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
I'm sure there has got to be some "shady" inspectors out there. We have them all over where I'm at. The guy I use, pulls the vehicle into the bay, leaves it running, goes outside, smokes a cigarette, probably drinks a beer, comes back in, pulls the car out and says, "it passed". Gives me the inspection report and I'm on my way.
I've yet to find a place like that here....

Old 02-15-2016, 03:20 PM
reconrey
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HeyYou
You can find them cheaper.... around 250 or so... Just gotta dig. (amazon?)
I have been looking on Amazon and eBay and I can easily find the non CARB for around 250, but the CARB ones seem to sit right around 400. Doubt there is even a difference other than the certification...but they refuse to ship the non CARB compliant to California.

Originally Posted by Moparite
I have heard of others that go to inspection in Ca only to find they don't have the plate on the headers and fail. Is your truck originally from Ca? Does it have four 02 sensors? You need to look into this before you change anything and save yourself from a big headache.
I believe that the truck is originally from CA, I only have two O2 sensors, not sure what the two vs four means though. I am the third owner so I'm not too sure. Also, what do you mean by the plate on the headers?

Old 02-15-2016, 03:29 PM
zildjian3707
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I installed my borla headers, I had to print paperwork to give to smog people. There is a website for CA that will provide the paperwork for all legal parts made by certain manufacturerSs. I'll try to find the site.

Old 02-15-2016, 05:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Originally Posted by reconrey
I have been looking on Amazon and eBay and I can easily find the non CARB for around 250, but the CARB ones seem to sit right around 400. Doubt there is even a difference other than the certification...but they refuse to ship the non CARB compliant to California.

I believe that the truck is originally from CA, I only have two O2 sensors, not sure what the two vs four means though. I am the third owner so I'm not too sure. Also, what do you mean by the plate on the headers?
Thought the california models had two cats, and four sensors?? Is that not the case???

Look on the emissions label under the hood, it will tell you if you have federal, or california emissions.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:26 PM
reconrey
Rookie

Originally Posted by zildjian3707
When I installed my borla headers, I had to print paperwork to give to smog people. There is a website for CA that will provide the paperwork for all legal parts made by certain manufacturerSs. I'll try to find the site.
Is this the site you where talking about:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...es/amquery.php

Couldn't find anything about the pace setter long tubes, so they are probably not legal.

Thought the california models had two cats, and four sensors?? Is that not the case???

Look on the emissions label under the hood, it will tell you if you have federal, or california emissions.
The label states it conforms to federal and California emission standards. Also, there is a single cat, two in one out, with the pre-cat o2 sensor placed right in the Y of the cat and a second o2 downstream, before the muffler.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:20 PM
zildjian3707
Veteran

hey give this a whirl, its close enough that they might not catch it. Its for the shortys but it matches your year truck. Actually my paperwork doesn't even match my specific model of borla headers. What i do usually is hand them the paperwork, and say "hey this is for my aftermarket headers" typically they will just look for the brand and ok it. At least thats how i've been getting by.

http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/de...eo/D-439-1.pdf

Old 02-15-2016, 10:00 PM
reconrey
Rookie

Nice idea, I think I'll give that a shot next time I have to get smogged (assuming I go with these headers).

Last edited by reconrey; 02-15-2016 at 10:12 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:00 PM
zildjian3707
Veteran

easiest way, but i do recommend borla haha, sounds great. ive got a video.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:02 PM
Ram Driver
Veteran

My 2000 Dodge Ram is a California truck, and it has one cat and two sensors.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:50 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

interesting. I wonder what is different on the california truck for emissions then.... Is it just programming?

Quick Reply: Would I be able to pass California Smog with long tube headers?