2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

shift kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 01:04 AM
zildjian3707
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shift kit

so its absolutely frustrating but im reading all over that what my trans does sounds like a shift kit or maybe its just retarded. the trans in my truck isnt that old less the 20k miles. i didnt have it rebuilt, the PO did, only reason i bought it. Ive replaced the governor solenoid 3 times, now its has a borg warner gps. I adjusted bands, adjusted tv cable and drained and serviced it too many times. She shifts really good when you drive with purpose, the less your on it lets say in traffic or slowly accelerating the harder it shifts especially 1-2. if i blast off 1-2 isnt even noticable but if i accelerate like a granny, it like smacks in gear. Pretty common for these trucks to have really clunky downshifts too especially if you let off right before it was gonna shift. Oddly enough ive dropped the pan many times and there arent any shavings at all or burnt fluid. I'm at a loss, its to the point where i sometimes keep accelerating even if i need to stop soon just to get it to shift up again so i dont have to feel it clunk when i let off. I may be dumb assuming its a shift kit doing that, but it seems fairly odd that when you floor it, it shifts like a champ.

Old 02-13-2016, 08:26 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

check to see if someone removed the accumulator spring, that tends to make the trans shift hard.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:27 AM
hdbiker1
Amateur

I don't have any idea if mine has been worked on with 200,000 mi, but it does the same thing. Solid 1-2 shift when taking off slowly. I just live with it.

Old 02-13-2016, 04:49 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Check out the throttle valve linkage to make sure it's returning fully. Mine just got funky and I ended up finding what I suspect was just some random spring the monkey found lying around the shop after losing the original.

That probably isn't it, but the simple little things like that can be big pains in the butt.

Old 02-14-2016, 05:39 PM
zildjian3707
Veteran

its just odd, most people would probably assume there tranny is taking a dump, but there are no signs of abuse except for the clunks, no codes or nothin. I swapped over to 4:56 gears a few months ago, and it definitely shifts better with less stress. However the clunks when letting off are still there. Typically after its warmed up, itll shift better, first few miles tho are nerveracking

Quick Reply: shift kit