2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Reverse barely works

Old 02-28-2016, 06:35 PM
kgilhooley31
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse barely works

Well it's been a good two years since any issues!! Today as I was leaving my house, I put the truck in reverse and had zero issues. Then a couple minutes later I went to back up, and could barely get it to go in. It barely clanks into reverse, and then if you give the engine some rev pumps you can get it to start slowly going backwards and then you can gain momentum and eventually get up to speed. But there is definitely some missing and a huge lack of power. It's very slightly engaged. 2 years ago I had all new clutches put in and I had also blown then reverse out but that was completely my fault and stupid. It is an 01 46re with a 98 wiring harness inside of a 98 360 quad4x4. I have had a trans temp and od off ever since I got my new PCM. But I put the old one back in and it corrects that issue of shutting it out. I have infared checked the trans everywhere for overheating even after towing cars and it's right about at spec always. So it's the transducer that is bad. Just haven't gotten around to it. I have codes 940 and 999 which is shift solenoid and also hydraulic temp sensor bad. So is it possible this shift solenoid being bad is burning my clutches by doing that lag between the front to rear band shift? The guy physically showed me my broken Kevlar band when I blew reverse, yet I had every other gear. So what's up this time? Is there actually a separate drum and band for reverse? Once again all my other gears are fine. There SEEMS but idk if this is normal, to be a whining from the valve body when I have the engine idling in reverse. It is in no other gear shift positions that this happens. Can I adjust the rear band for the revers? Or would nothing else be working like 2nd gear? I have speculated I blew a valve or seal that is along the reverse routes in the valvebody.... Tranny level seems fine. Might be slightly high, but realistically pretty close to where it should be.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:17 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Check band adjustment?? Unfortunately, I think that's the one internal to the trans.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:20 PM
kraven
Rookie

yeah, there's an array of parts specific to reverse.

Watch some vids on YT of your trans and you'll see the reverse mechanism and how it works. Then you'll understand how it can be broken and still have forward gears.

Old 02-28-2016, 11:35 PM
kgilhooley31
Professional

Originally Posted by kraven
yeah, there's an array of parts specific to reverse.

Watch some vids on YT of your trans and you'll see the reverse mechanism and how it works. Then you'll understand how it can be broken and still have forward gears.
Ok so sounding like some little peices I can replace without going thru the front of the main case and rebuilding? In truck repairs??? (Fingers crossed)

Old 02-29-2016, 08:29 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Drop the pan, see what you find. Might be obvious.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Reverse barely works