2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Gen 2 4x4 Trackbar fix

Old 11-08-2005, 08:33 PM
dodgewhine
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gen 2 4x4 Trackbar fix

For all you that has had problems with 4x4 front end shimmy. Dodge has put out a TSB for front end shimmy on the 4x4 in 1997. I just found it. THe problem is 2 fold; 1 the steering stabilizer that attaches to the frame and draglink and 2 the trackbar balljoint end play. THe fix is remove the steering stabilizer and replace is with a Rancho kit for the old Gen1 Dodge pickup. But the best fix is replacing the trackbar with a kit from www.solidsteel.com. THe Canadian company" Windecker Machine LTD" makes a kit that lets you use the 2003 trackbar from the new Gen3 Ram pickups. Let me tell you, I highly recommend this upgrade. My 1996 4x4 Dually always had a steering shutter when you hit a pothole. I just thought this was normal for a 1 ton truck. But I saw this company in the Dodge Forum and I decided to do the upgrade. Its like night and day. THe truck steers great and the shutter is gone. Its like a new truck. The trackball must have been weak, although it seemed tight. In all I paid $143 for the bracket kit and $215 for the 2003 trackbar.

Old 11-08-2005, 08:54 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 222 Likes on 207 Posts
Default RE: Gen 2 4x4 Trackbar fix

another thing to do is add as much caster as you can to the front end. that stops the shake, also known as the death wobble.

Old 11-09-2005, 12:10 AM
Socha_62
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My steering sucks! It seems really loose and wobbly lately. So I'm glad that they admit its broke, and that I have to pay to fix it :P

Old 11-09-2005, 12:55 AM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

The 2003+ trackbar has been proven to be faulty as well. There are several 2nd gen diesel owners who have done the upgrade only to have the 03 trackbar wear out on them. The best option is to get a bar that has replaceable bushings in it...preferably made of nylon or a composite material. Thuren's Bar: http://thurenfabrication.com/stocktb.html That's been the best fix I've seen so far.

The stabilizer bracket for the steering box is a good mod though. The steering gear sector shaft end play should also be adjusted per the appropriate TSB. Proper adjustment (at least for the heavy duty trucks) is to snug the nut down and then back it off 3-5mm of rotation. Mine was backed off almost an inch from the factory.

Also...when you set your caster, it should be set to +6.5 degrees on the left and +7 degrees on the right to offset the pull of the road crown. That will give you the best handling.

Old 11-10-2005, 01:59 AM
dodgewhine

TheBurning Rom,,,,Did they think of replacing the bushings with urethane. I've never heard of the bushings wearing out. Are you sure of that.

Old 11-10-2005, 02:18 AM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

The rubber bushings on the 2nd gen trackbar (and 3rd gen as well) are what wear so fast. Rubber should NEVER be used on a steering component (yet it is [:'(]).

Thuren's bar uses a poly bushing. The bushing in his bar is also replaceable. IIRC, the only solidsteel bar that comes with a poly bushing is the adjustable bar for lifted trucks. The standard bar (from the 03s) still comes with rubber bushings, unless they've changed it since I researched the different bars.

You can do your own research over at www.dieseltruckresource.com Trackbars are a very common discussion there, as they tend to wear faster on the trucks with the blown 900lb oil breathing gorilla under the hood.

Old 11-10-2005, 01:06 PM
securtis12
Professional

I updated mine with a lukes link and the poly bushing on the other end and it works great. There is no major mods to do and it cost less than a hundred bucks kind of hard to beat.

www.lukeslink.com

check it out.

Steve

Old 11-10-2005, 08:59 PM
dodgewhine

I looked at the lukes link. Its too hookie for me. THe sleeve can crack and where will you be!!!!
The 2003+ bar still has rubber bushings. but when they wear out, replace with urethane ones. It lukeslink has one side bushings, get 2 and replace them in the 2003+ bar.

I'm assuming THe Burning Rom you come from a below freezing climate. THen I think the bushing is not wearing, its cracking from freezing temperatures and you think its wearing. Still,,replace with urethane.

Old 11-10-2005, 09:55 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: dodgewhine
I'm assuming THe Burning Rom you come from a below freezing climate. THen I think the bushing is not wearing, its cracking from freezing temperatures and you think its wearing. Still,,replace with urethane.
No, it defineatly wears. I've observed degredation in rubber bushings on many of my vehicles. They don't freeze and crack, because I don't drive most of them during the winter months. In fact, most of my vehicles are in "storage mode" already. In the winter, I only drive my beater car and my plow truck. The 2 trucks and 5 other cars sit in the garages and the shed.

The point I was trying to make before is that the bushings SHOULD be made of a poly material from the start. Wether it's the 2nd gen trackbar, 3rd gen trackbar, or an aftermarket bar. They should all be poly. Fact is they aren't, and 95% of the people that buy them aren't going to take the time to find a poly bushing for them, or don't know any better. The ball and socket end is also another problem in itself. Luke's link is a good advancement over the stock design. And like I said before, Thuren's bar seems to be the best so far as both ends are made to be rebuilt. The other positive to Thuren's bar (or luke's link) is that no bracket is needed to adapt it. The solidsteel bracket is just a bolted bracket, and is prone to movement or failure during harsh wheeling conditions. That, and they both cost less than the bracket + 3rd gen. trackbar + replacement bushings + time you could spend doing something else.

The time is the important thing for me...especially with winter drawing near.

Here are two good trackbar threads for reading: (I believe you will have to register to view)
http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/d...2&page=1&pp=15
http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/d...9&page=1&pp=15

Old 11-10-2005, 10:58 PM
Tani1500
Champion

ORIGINAL: The Burning Rom

Thuren's Bar: http://thurenfabrication.com/stocktb.html That's been the best fix I've seen so far.
Yea, Im all for thuren fabrication. thats the way to go. Im going to be buying my new trackbar for don in a few weeks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gen 2 4x4 Trackbar fix