2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

NP233D Transfer Case?? And some related problems.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 12:35 PM
4STFire
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NP233D Transfer Case?? And some related problems.

So, I've been having some issues with a rattle/popping noise in the driveline system on a 97 5.9 1500 4x4 Sport and searched a few threads here for good advice on troubleshooting. After jacking it up and inspecting the system both by hand and then running with a load I think I've isolated it to the transfer case. That is where I am hearing the most noise with a stetho.

The the wheels suspended and transmission in drive there is a clicking/rattle, loudest in the transfer case. With the wheels spinning and dropped into neutral the noise increases. It seems less under a light load with some braking.

Curious if anyone has any thoughts on that. I'm considering dropping it and looking inside to see what I can find. I was thinking the simplest thing would just be a drop and swap.

When I checked the ID Tag I found this:

Is this really a NP233D?

I couldn't find any reference to the 233 being used in a Dodge application? I am also not aware this TC was ever replaced and I'm the only owner.

I thought the Gen 2s all ran the NP231 or NP231HD. My hood tag says the transfer case should be a 231HD.

Any thoughts or guidance appreciated.

Old 05-02-2016, 01:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

From what I am finding, The 233 was used in Dodge Dakota's from 01, to 03. Which makes no sense at all, considering the year of your truck...... Other places, going by the numbers, it comes up as a 241 case, which, so far as I know, were never installed in half-ton trucks from the factory......

They were also used in 92 and up S trucks. (chevy/gmc)

Why you have one in your ram is indeed a mystery. Wonder if it is just mislabeled? that would make finding parts for it interesting.......

If the build sheet says 231D, I would be tempted to go by that, and see if the parts work.....

Old 05-02-2016, 02:50 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are than any other stamps or anything stamped in the metal?

Old 05-03-2016, 10:32 AM
4STFire
Amateur

Thanks Ham Bone & HeyYou for the replies.

Wh1t3NuKle via PM brought up a suggestion that perhaps a case half from a 233 was swapped in at some point.

Many years ago I had a pinion nut back off, rear end scramble and driveline drop on the highway. I'm wondering, though it wasn't on the repair invoice, if the shop found a cracked TC half and replaced it with a scrap part from a Durango. ?? Seems possible.

I haven't gotten the gumption to try removing it yet and searching for some better resources to guide my mechanical learning. After 18 years with this truck I'm finding I need to do more myself, as the shops have gotten less trustworthy (at least my recent experiences). Besides shop manual any step guidance on the removal/replacement.

I'm not particularly comfortable or time tolerant to really try any rebuild myself so was thinking of just getting a replacement NV(?)231D or 231HD for it.

Upon closer inspection I do see ATV or such at the output shaft base and case halves that supports the idea that it has been apart before.

If it turns out I discover I have some Frankenstein TC, might be better I dump this thread so as not to waste other's time. Thanks for the help.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:55 AM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 4STFire
I'm not particularly time tolerant.

If it turns out I discover I have some Frankenstein TC, might be better I dump this thread so as not to waste other's time. Thanks for the help.
Ha, I like that!

And, no, keep the thread ALL info is good.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:49 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Np231s are some of the easiest tcases to rebuild. And there are plenty of guides online of first hand experience to help you. That said you might have a bastardized thing.

This is good info and should stay here on the forum for future folks.

Old 05-27-2016, 10:57 AM
4STFire
Amateur

I corrected some related pinion/driveline angle issues and the vibrations seem to have stopped. That may have been the actual source. I haven't jacked everything up and run again like I did before to listen for the noise in the TC though.

Quick Reply: NP233D Transfer Case?? And some related problems.